Shorewall - large file copy issues

I was having difficulty copying large files (around 200mb) into nethserver (samba) shares from a windows server and machines. There were constant errors (windows code 64 / 59) of “file missing” and “no longer available on network” etc.

The eventual fix was to disable the firewall (shorewall clear). I confirmed it by re-enabling and reproducing.

There were no related log entries and nothing to indicate an issue. I also couldn’t find any general reference to shorewall causing such issues elsewhere. The only reason I tried turning it off was it was a suggested windows solution for such issues.

I was using Windows (7, 8 and 10), file explorer and sync software to copy to the Nethserver shares. All machines were on the same local, trusted, network with the same issue if they were connected to the AD or not. Nethserver is on VMWare ESXI.

I am assuming that it may have been related to overhead of some sort and would be keen to hear any suggestions of what to check/look for to troubleshoot further.

Klaus

Firewall rules can be viewed?
Resources gave to NethServer guest? VMWare ESXi resources?

Thanks Michael.

The firewall rules are standard/out of the box; no relevant log messages; and I was using the nethserver administrator account to do the copies.
significant file copy operations (over 30,000 files) were working without issue, just ones that were > 180mb (mostly photoshop psd files) failed.

I am suspecting that dropping the firewall has perhaps just released some computer/VM resources allowing the transfers to go through.

KLaus

1 Like