Share files on Debian 10 together with Nethserver 7.7

I use Nethserver 7.7 as Domain Controller mainly to share files for Windows 10 Clients. In the same LAN there is a Debian 10 Server running an ERP-Sytem.

I am looking for a way/solution to share files (pdf, excel, word) on the ERP-System in conjunction with Nethserver AD… Any suggestions/hints?

Which ERP system do you use? If it is able to access/store on samba shares, I think this is the way to go.

Or join the Debian machine to the Nethserver AD and setup shares on the Debian machine to share ERP data.

2 Likes

Hi

Without touching your AD and ERP configuration, you could add NFS as an option and have the ERP save its files in a NFS folder. Which would be on a NethServer iBay and available to Windows Clients…

Like @mrmarkuz says, it depends on the capabilities of what your ERP can - and also what locking mech it uses when creating files…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hi folks,

Thank you for your infos. I think I have to test smb-client and nfs-client on debian and mount Nethserver shares on boot with fstab…

What do you think is more stable ?

I’d go for NFS3 - it’s fast, and uses very little CPU/RAM on Linux.
NFS is rock stable on Debian - as on NethServer.
And the connection can easily be set up and IP-Locked to be usable only between ERP and NethServer…
And no need to do headstands if the AD join doesn’t work (or create license issues in ERP).

And Stephdl has a nice NFS Module, too!

My 2 cents
Andy

OK, thank you. I will test NFS first…

This might help you:
(For Debian!)

And I know you’re german speaking, like myself… :slight_smile:

It’s from my personal Raspberry Cheat Sheet, I use it also for Proxmox and other Debian based stuff…

——————————
NFS Client auf Raspberry
——————————

sudo apt-get install rpcbind nfs-common
sudo update-rc.d rpcbind enable
sudo /etc/init.d/rpcbind start

Ordner unter /mnt hinzufügen

sudo mkdir /mnt/backups

Mounts automatisch nach reboot:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

SERVER-IP_oder_NAME:/PFAD/ORDNER /mnt/MOUNTPOINT nfs rw 0 0

Beispiele:

SERVER-IP_oder_NAME:/home/e-smith/files/ibays/work/files /mnt/work nfs rw 0 0

192.168.31.72:/raid0/data/NAS_NFS_Exports/Backups /mnt/backups nfs rw 0 0

Excellent ! - You are too fast :smile: - ATM I install NFS on a NS-Testserver…

on debian (also on raspberry) it would be better to use:

systemctl enable rpcbind
systemctl restart rpcbind

and check with

systemctl status rpcbind

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@fausp

Morning!

And, does it work as expected?

:slight_smile:

Good Morning,

Yes, it looks vy good. I have to do it now on the customer-server…
Thank you Andy!

Best
fp

Welcome as always!

Also a good reason to add in specific NFS monitoring in Zabbix… :slight_smile:

NFS is very independent and resilent, it basically needs a working TCP/IP stack and the rpcbind.
I use IP in the config to make NFS independent of even DNS.

And the CPU load for NFS is practically neglicable on both sides. Samba can and does use a lot more and has a lot more dependencys. Sure, in a company environment you can’t get past CIFS, but for a dedicated (UN*X) server to server connection, NFS is often a better choice…