Setting up development environment on Proxmox

@Andy_Wismer as said in a PM have a lot of questions. :grinning:
In a open-source mind setting want to continue the conversation in public, you never know if something useful for others will come out of it.

Doing most work on Nethserver for small (credit-card sized) arm devices bought something Huge (in my perspective): A used HP ml350p gen8 dual intel xeon e5-2620 v2 32gb ram 2x450gb 4x600gb 10k sas.

First intended use is to be development platform, it could very well becoming my daily SOHO server
 And being a longtime user of VM-Ware considering the switch to Proxmox; foremost because I’m sick and tired of compiling the drivers for the hardware VM-Ware does not support. :rage:

Implicitly @Andy_Wismer warned me about the hp P420i raid controller can be difficult to handle single drive’s
 It does not expose them, it seems to be mandatory to put the drive’s in a raid or the HP won’t boot., Something to figure out later; probably need to boot form SD-card or USB to work around this.
For the time being set it up traditionally with a hardware raid 1 for two 450GB drives on which Proxmox is installed and a (HW) raid 5 for four 600GB drives server formatted as one LVM volume.

Happy with this to learn Proxmox

First question (be ware I come from VM-Ware / HyperV) how do i setup a virtual network / switch in Promox?

@mark_nl

Hi

Proxmox has NO issues running on whatever you can present as disks. It only needs less than 30 GB

For your purpose 2*450 is perfect. If a disk goes south, you still have everything up and running.

If you need any specific tips / help in networking, whatever, don’t hesitate to PM me.

As fo starters:

After installing, run:

apt update

apt install mc nano htop screen ifupdown2

ifupdown2 allows you to change the network without a reboot.
:slight_smile:

You can create up to 900 virtual networks in Proxmox. Easiest way:

Go to networks. The shown network is not connected to the outside world, exists only inside of Proxmox. It can be connected to a NIC or vLAN.

You can allocate an IP, but it’s only really needed on the NIC you use to control Proxmox

2 Likes

Add in a Virtual Bridge, and give it a name such as

vmbr2, vmbr23 or anything,. vmbr0 is the default lan, in Proxmox lingo: “Public LAN”. This does not mean public like in Internet, but can be understood as Office or Home-LAN

You will like Proxmox

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

:slight_smile: So it is not only me

Do not know this: thanx will do so

Something users would love in Neth

10 changes, one click, all actibe!

1 Like

If i don’t have these, I feel i’m using windows or something worse, like WinCE

Those 4 are musts

There are more though

1 Like

Networking examples:

Will try again, after installing ifupdown2

In My first run it did not work:

with these settings:

And could not find the “buton” activate them., will play more to get familiar with it. :blush:

1 Like

Three networks:

• Office LAN
  • Storage LAN
  • Backup LAN

As you can see, on storage LAN it’s incoming, on Backup LAN the traffic is outgoing

installed this and found the right button:

they are active now
 TK

Hi @Andy_Wismer

It would be really fantastic and highly appreciated by the whole community if you had the time and patience to share your knowledge/experiences by writing a detailed howto on implementing such a development Proxmox system.

I am sure that a very large number of NethServer users would support you for such a project.

As you often write: “My 2 cents”,

Michel-André

2 Likes

Man, what a nice heat generator box! Don’t forget to fully upgrade all the firmwares of that box :wink:

1 Like

They are hard to find
 seems you have to pay for them for old hardware.
Any pointers where to find them for a gen8 ML350p are very welcome. :grinning:

100W idling, about 170W @24 cores emulating arm64 (aarch64) at full speed

1 Like

@Andy_Wismer :upside_down_face:

Can you advice me how to setup an local running nfs for clients?
To be clear want to setup a network storage on the local pve instance for VM’s with the lowest overhead possible.

@mark_nl

Hi

If I understand you right, you want to export local (and/or local-lvm) with NFS, is that right?
(These are the two default “Volumes” a standard Proxmox will create
)

My 2 cents
Andy

Sorry I was not clear

I can accomplish my goal by installing a full debian VM severing a directory through NFS which clients (VMs) can access.

Until now this did not work for me in container.

Because Proxmox is debian under the hood considered to set up an NFS server “bare metal” on proxmox
 This does not feel good

@mark_nl

I tend to avoid misusing Proxmox as a “NAS” for whatever sharing.

For one, it has NO Interface for this use.
I don’t want to create issues if a reboot is needed or whatever.
Third: My Proxmox have very low IO capacity - any access to the local storage slows down ALL VMs, sometimes down to instability.

If you’re running on really powerful hardware, and running ZFS or CEPH, this does make sense

If you want to use a LXC Container, you must disable the standard setting “Unpriviledged Container” and set the features you need, ie samba or nfs

The above setting can only be changed at setup, or before a restore option. To change a wrongly set LXC, easiest way is a backup / restore.

It may be a bit more comfortable to set up a virtual NAS, like RockStor (Also playing with that at the moment
). Gives you a nice GUI to set up and check usage of NFS

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thank you! Did try the Unrestricted part, not the Features part.

My goal is to have a environment where I can throwaway / switch VM’s for development, but keep the data / results.

1 Like

NFS is the best for this especially seeing as you’re mostly using linux, for which NFS is a “natural”

-> A seperate NAS would be even better!

1 Like