Server stops when clicking on Software Center

Continuing the discussion from Messages seems not not reach the recipient’s mailbox:

Hi @vhinzsanchez,
a stuck Software Center can be a symptom of a network problem.

Yes indeed. I was about to go home when I noticed that the software center loaded. There might have been network congestion earlier. The last configuration I had before my final reconfiguration, I had to wait about 25 mins so I decided to reformat. But my time ran out on my final configuration and noticed that the Software Center loaded 10-15 mins after launching it.

Thanks!

How can I close this discussion/thread? I was successful in updating the system…presently, NS is now downloading modules.

Thanks @davidep

We can leave this open, no worries :wink:

many thanks @alefattorini :grinning:

Can you be more specific about “network problem?” Are we saying that it’s normal for the software center to take 30 minutes to load? Is there a specific service priority I can increase in traffic shaping that might improve the performance? Thanks.

I was thinking about local problems: DNS, gateway configuration errors or infrastructural problems: a proxy, small bandwidth, DNS down… Hard to guess!

Software Center relies on YUM, thus it can suffer of any YUM problem.

Thanks Davide. I’m not aware of any general network issues with other sorts of traffic, so I suppose what I’ll do is study YUM a bit to see if there are some vulnerabilities there that might not show up with general network traffic. If I come up with an answer, I’ll post it. My software center seems never to populate, no matter how long I wait. I am using a transparent proxy filter, so perhaps there is some issue between that and YUM. A good opportunity for some experimenting.

1 Like

when you use directly ‘yum update’ in a terminal, do you have some problem ???

To me, it seems to be more of a local problem. Our ADSL is being used by over 30 users :smile:

I have created a new installation on a different machine, configured the two the same, and so far have no trouble connecting to the software center on the new gateway. So it seems likely that the issue is a config or corruption problem on my current gateway. Thanks.

3 Likes

Just an update on this. Software center is no longer updating. That in itself is a minor issue, but it leads me to wonder if the updates tab is actually receiving updates or not. I had set up a new installation and carefully checked the software center after every added module and config change. It continued to work properly, but overnight something caused it to stop functioning.

The software centers on my 2 Nethserver machines had stopped working because the mirrorlist.txt files in /var/cache/yum/x86_64/6/centos-base and centos-updates both disappeared. Not sure where they went. Restoring those mirror lists brought the software center back to life and restored updating.

1 Like