Server Migration AD and Domain

NethServer Version: 7.9.
Module: AD DNS

Hi,

For various reasons I need to move a server to another hardware.

Since I already use a second NS for several months, I wanted to use it for this, since everything is already installed (SMB, Email, FW, Proxy).

However, it is mandatory to change remote AD to local AD as well as the DNS name.

Question:
Is it possible to change from remote AD to local AD including new domain name on Nethserver without problems if all above mentioned services are running?

Greetings and thanks

Nicky

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

In my personal opinion you should… detail more your scenario for receiving an answer.

Hi @supernicky

No, this is NOT possible, for the simple reason that each AD has an individual SSIS (Security Identifier) for the whole domain. All Windows PCs and Servers which are members of the domain change their local SSID to a Domain-SSID when joining the domain.

All Windows hosts (PCs, Servers) will lose all authentification basis, as the domain, even if the name is the same, will have a different SSID. You must be able to login locally, change domain membership to local workgroup, reboot, then change from workgroup to new domain. If not prepared with a good tool, you will lose all profile settings from this workstation / server.

These work well:

→ It is MUCH easier and way less work to use Backup / restore to migrate your existing server to a newer hardware (or VM).
All Windows hosts can retain their profiles, no changes needed unless you have a static IP on the host…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hi,

NS ist a standalone Server.

Access only via:
Netzwerkanmeldung

My question is, do all the shares still work then or do I need to backup the files and copy them back after the migration?
Will any data be deleted when I migrate from remote AD to local AD?

The few users and groups are quickly created again.

Thanks

Nicky

Hi @supernicky

No, no worries here. You will have to set permissions again on the share after creating the new local AD and any users or groups you need…

My 2 cents
Andy

Just a clarification: both servers are running Nethserver (one with local AD and the second one with Remote AD) or the main server is a Windows Server?

Hi,

Yes.
I have copied all data (no Backup) and reinstalled.
I think everything else would be too complicated, then right away.

Thanks to all