Send an email to all members of a group?

Hi there,

I hoped that sending an email to a group created in the Users & Groups page would work but it isn’t the case. As a result, I must create an alias pointing to each and every user of the group, which is far from ideal.

Do you think there is a way to implement this ?

Thanks !

Matthieu

1 Like

Another solution is to create a mail alias pointing to a shared mailbox and grant access to the group.

See also

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/mail.html#email-addresses

Mailboxes can be shared among groups of users. The Email addresses > Shared mailboxes page allows creating a new shared mailbox and defining one or more owning groups

Sure, thanks @davidep But that would create a subfolder, and I see other problems like users deleting mails into that folder.

No, that isn’t a solution. “Send email to a group” is a fairly simple request. “Create a group alias”, although clunky, is a solution. “Create a separate mailbox that they have to add to their respective clients” isn’t.

I’m really surprised at this omission from Neth–especially since e-smith/SME, which you forked from, has had it for 15+ years.

Permissions can be adjusted from an IMAP ACL client, like Roundcube

Would that mean that the “fix” could be easy ?

I am working on it, I will come back soon.

For now, create a shared mailbox, the owner is the group, then create a mail alias with the group name as destination.

It should work but the email alias is not expanded when you remove or add user to that group

1 Like

Cool !

Actually creating a shared mailbox has a drawback : it is a separated mailbox, not an alias that lands into your mailbox. And as you said it doesn’t follow the add / remove of users which is one of the main reason I’d like to be able to send to the group directly.

@giacomo @davidep this is a prototype to use with group-{delete,modify,create}

for now there is no condition to create the group alias, I need to find a way to create (and save) a checkbox in the group tab.

in short

• create a shared mailbox, owned by the group name
  • create a mail alias (type=pseudonym) named like the groupname with all user members of this group as Account prop

does this approach is good ?

1 Like

In other modules we implemented the logic in Nethgui: when the checkbox is enabled the existing events have to be called after the group create.

Note that events and actions are not UI controllers. Nethgui implements the controller layer in PHP.

Please look at reverse proxy or virtual hosts as examples.

On group deletion and modifications I wouldn’t touch mail alias and shared mbox configs.

1 Like

agreed for group deletion and shared mbox configs. but for group-modify and mail alias, it would be good to remove or add new users

:-?

To clarify the group members are those who can access the public/shared mailbox. Do not create a distribution list mail alias. Just point to the mailbox!

This is the original feature request I’m talking , which is slightly different from this one:

I think what @pagaille is asking can be done only with a direct connection from postfix to ldap DB, like we did in ns6. But as discussed in other threads cannot be done within the accounts provider of ns7 and upstream postfix version

Closed as duplicate of