Samba shares with designated directories

NethServer Version: 7
Module: samba

Dear all,

If I create a share, the corresponding directory is usually located in /var/lib/nethserver/ibay.
Is it somehow possible to assign a specific directory to a new or existing share. E.G. I would like to share the content of an external HD to the public mounted in

/media/hdd

I guess there is no option to do so from the web panel.

TIA
Thorsten

First, create the share from UI, then just mount your partition to /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/<name>.

4 Likes

THX… simple idea

@giacomo,

sorry for rebound: Is there any pre-mount of /dev/sdx# devices? I can see my USB disk on the backup module, but I can not mount it e.g. to /media/foo. I did not try to mount to /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/ so far, as the simple mount does not work currently.

TIA
Thorsten

I’m not sure to understand your request, but the USB disk is mounted by /etc/e-smith/events/actions/mount-usb during the pre-backup-data event.

What is the error?
You can mount almost everything using:

mount /dev/<device_name> /your/path

Thats exaclty the strange part, however I should give some background information:

• I use Proxmox VE, nethserver 7.5 is installed as a guest.

• I assigned two USB ports to the VM

• A WD HDD is attached to host USB 3-2. I use it for backup (since about 3 month)

• A OCZ SSD is attached to host USB 4-4 (marked red). This is the USB / SSD in doubt:
    grafik

• I can see both devices on the nethserver backup interaface, however I did not try OCZ SSD for backup as it does not have enought disk space.
    grafik

• lsblk shows the following output.

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 1T 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 31G 0 part
│ ├─VolGroup-lv_root 253:0 0 1019.8G 0 lvm /
│ └─VolGroup-lv_swap 253:1 0 3.2G 0 lvm [SWAP]
└─sda3 8:3 0 992G 0 part
└─VolGroup-lv_root 253:0 0 1019.8G 0 lvm /
sdb 8:16 0 1.8T 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 1.8T 0 part
sdc 8:32 0 111.8G 0 disk
└─sdc1 8:33 0 111.8G 0 part
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

• So we are talking about sdc1

mount /dev/sdc1 /media/test/
mount: unknown filesystem type ‘ntfs’

• I already tried to format to (via cfdisk) ext3 (but returned to ntfs)
    the mount error was that the device can only be mounted write proteced

Ideas

• maybe I need to take of USB3 support on Proxmox VE first
    Edit: I can remove USB3 support, it seems that his is just the capablity of the HDD.

Thanks for any further ideas
Thorsten

OK here again after cfdisk → ext4
Please notice: after reboot disk assignment changed from sdc1 to sda 1:

mount /dev/sda1 /media/test/
mount: /dev/sda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: unknown filesystem type ‘(null)’

It should be a problem with the HD itself or with the USB bus.

Check the logs and see if the disk generates some plug/unplug events.
To use NTFS you need some special tools (https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFS), but it’s better to use ext4 or any other native Linux FS (as you already did).

Finally, if the HD is not a real USB disk, attach it to the SATA interface inside the Proxmox machine.

Hi Giacomo,

I am not sure about this: The WD disk @/dev/sdb is a USB device, too. It works perfectly. Additionally, any device I plug into Nethserver VM is write protected - regardless if it is a (virtual) HDD (tried SCSI, SATA, IDE) or a hardware USB device.

Can you help me to unterstand which logs I might check?

TIA
Thorsten

Oh … äh …the command

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1

seems to be very helpfull in such cases :man_facepalming::sweat_smile:

I’m glad you fixed it, good job! :wink:

By Change:

We are talking about a 4 TB USB HDD. Do you know how to format such a device in order to take advantage of full capacity? currently I am just limited to 2 TB

TIA
Thorsten

Check this out: https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-unable-to-create-partition-greater-2tb.html

Continuo com uma duvida: quando cadastro uma pasta no Nethserver ele cria a mesmo neste diretorio /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/
gostaria de ao criar a pasta no nethserver ele criaria a pasta no seguinte diretorio /mnt/Hd01/

Hi @Borges,

welcome to Nethserver Community. I translated your question:

It can be done at install or with a bind mount, see this thread: