Running a virtualized instance of NethServer on PROXMOX

Running a virtualized NethServer on PROXMOX virtualisation software:

In my endless search for a good virtualisation system i tested Xen, Citrix and whatever.
then someone recommended me to look at proxmox. And the fact that its management consists of an HTML5 webinterface got me instantly hooked!
Its freeware, although upon login it complaints about no valid subscription (everything works though)

I run PROMOX on a HP Proliant Gen8 server with limited hardware capability’s (4GM RAM, 1TB HDD, Dual Core proc)

Now, to run NethServer on promox you need to create a virtual machine with the following settings (these are the settings i got it to work with, i had no luck with other settings):

Memory: 512MB (more is always better, especially on large networks)
Processor: 1 core (again, more is better on large networks)
DVD: the iso image (i had the 6.6 beta 1 dvd, should work with other versions as well)
HDD: Sata mode, 64GB default format (and again… More is better)
Network: NIC vmxnet3 in bridge mode (no other settings would work, the server would send data, but never seem to receive it when you use other settings)

Then you can use the default installation to set it up, and give the virtual machine a static IP. After that the server can be reached as normal.

4 Likes

Thank you @Lincee :wink: I’ll create howto category soon for posts like this.

1 Like

That would be nice yes :smile:
If i ever get the hang of this disclosure stuff that is…

I don’t want to interject and since this isn’t a support question; Would this post be moved to HowTo category? I am subscribed to #support and not correcting this behavior now would be just useless mail in my inbox?

Thank You,
Horace

“Correct this behavior” ?

I’m not sure if you noticed here Ceasar Milan, but you’re not replying to a bunch of dogs! I found that rather offensive.

As for changing it to howto, i’m sorry but that one is not in my list of categories. Hence i placed it here.

Did you read the community guidelines?

1. Correct this beheavior: So people don’t post content in the wrong category
  2. The information you gave is not a support question
  3. Don’t criticize the person

Cheers,
Horace

1. I don’t know how to edit this post. If you look at profile and see when i joined. You would know that I wasn’t aware there wasn’t other categories at the time you join!?

2. I am talking to the moderators

3. I just learned how to edit posts

Calm down guys :smiley: please respect each other and be polite.
@lhprojects howto category is quite new, so I’m moving this conversation there. Please remember that it’s not easy to put the topic into the right category, you might have to be patient with some of the posts.
@Lincee you’re right, only admin can create howto :slight_smile: it helps to keep it clean but I’m thinking about it, maybe I could remove this constraint

That said, shake your hands and go ahead! :v:

1 Like

That’s important to me @alefattorini to me

I have a couple of questions about your Proxmox settings.

• HDD - would I be able to use VIRTIO instead of SATA?
  • Network - is it Bridge: vmbr0 & Model: VMWare vmxnet3?

I’m using v3.4 myself.

Hi, I’m also testing on 3.4
HDD is using virtio
Net: vmbr0 bridge and model Virtio.
so far no problem with this settings.

2 Likes

Thanks dz00te :smile:

1 Like

And another person using virtio for all and not having trouble. Bridge mode is much easier to conceptualize and manage but NAT mode does work.

1 Like

The official, by Packt Publishing released book says using VirtIO for the HDD and NIC gives the best performance, format the HDD img as RAW and you’re all set to go for a most optimized experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes