Restore User Data

NethServer Version: 7.7.1908 (Final)
Module: Restore
I have a production server with data backing up in a windows machine which is in network (CIFS).
I could able to restore the configuration data on to a new box.
Am unable to restore the users mail data and it is redirecting me to cockpit to restore.
I couldn’t see any option to choose the windows share path where my data is.
Help me out in restoring the data on a step by step manner.

Thanks in advance
Bain

The restored config backup should set the share path.

See the documentation for a step-by-step guide.

For only restoring mails see selective restore. You need to install the restore application from software center.

@mrmarkuz
Thanks for your reply. Tried as advised, I could only restore the data which was created on the new machine.
I couldn’t find any option to select the backup which is on windows network in which all my users and mails are available.
BTW, as per the document which you provided, I can only restore the configuration data.
Am looking for restoration of mails / user data.
Bain

Bump!!

1 Like

If you configure the backup on the new machine with the old backup path it should work to restore from it.

For mails it’s possible to sync with imapsync too.

Hi mrmarkuz,
Thanks once again.
The tricky part is am unable to show the path in cockpit.
Need support.
I tried imapsync also in the past, which is unsuccessful due to lack of expertise.

Sorry, I don’t get it. Could you share a screenshot?

When you edit the backup on the new server you can set host and share:

To show the backup db entries on command line:

db backups show

Hi Markuz,
My objective is to restore the backup files (user mail boxes), which are in windows network share on to a new server.
I could able to restore user data, configuration, but need help in restoring the user mail boxes.
I couldn’t find any way to restore in the new cockpit window
Hope am clear…
Bain

Usually the mail folders (/var/lib/nethserver/vmail/) are part of the data backup.

With the Restore Data application you can restore mail folders. You need to install it from Software Center.

Hi mrmarkuz,
Unfortunately, Am not getting the backup-data | SFTP - restic as shown in your pic.

What I am missing

It depends on your backup what you get here.

What happens if you search for a user mailbox?

You may restore from command line if GUI does not work.

@mrmarkuz

Hi

As bainwave states, this is a “new” server. The Backup will NOT be listed. A new server has NO way of knowing where a previous server could have stored it’s backup.
He would need to transfer the backup - maybe to a usb disk - and restore the data from there…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

If you restore config backup or setup backup-data with same share it knows about it.

@mrmarkuz

That’s true, too!

• but it still has to be done, and permissions correct…

My 2 cents
Andy

@Andy_Wismer & @ mrmakuz
How I can achieve?

@bainwave

Hi

One way would be restoring the whole server backup to your new server - that should include all mail directories. No need to “select” stuff, just the whole server!

Make sure the new server is “isolated” from the old server, if need be just have the server plugged in to your laptop / pc.
-> Potential name / IP conflict here!

You can then clean up any services / folders / shares not needed…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

@Andy_Wismer,
Thanks for your reply.
But bit confused … can you please elaborate?
Bain

@bainwave

Hi

Once you’ve the Config-Backup, your server should “see” the full backups. (Be able to connect to them…). So just restore your full server from the latest backup.

This will, after reboot, give you a server almost identical with the one you made the backup, even down to the same IP and name.
Before reboot, isolate the server from the other server, or you will have IP conflicts!

Using a notebook directly hooked to the server you should be able to verify, if eg mail is complete…

Then you can clean up the server, to evade conflicts. A different IP / Name?..

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

@Andy_Wismer,
Will try and share the feedback.
If that is the case, the server which is in production should go down and on the new server I should change the IP address, hostname.
Correct me if am wrong.
Bain

@bainwave

Actually, on the new server you can keep the IP and name, as long as the old server get’s disconnected first (Or shut down and removed from the net).

Good luck!

Andy