[resolved]Stephdl is down

There are docs how to provide a mirror for NethServer, but not for individual Repos. But it IS a good idea!

And I’d host one to! Depending on space requirements, I could do 1 or 2…

1 Like
[nethserver-base]
name=NethServer-$nsrelease - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.nethserver.org/?release=$releasever&repo=base&arch=$basearch&nsrelease=$nsrelease
#baseurl=http://mirror.nethserver.org/nethserver/$releasever/base/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
repo_gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-NethServer-$releasever
enabled=1
enablegroups=0

To make it efficient we should have something like this, make a repository list on a host that we are sure that it won’t never fail, because I simply do not know if yum keeps it in cache, if my main host with the list of mirrors does not answer, what it occurs ?

Of course it fails :slight_smile:

1 Like

so it doesn’t help. When my server was on a SME Server, I got a rsync server, If I find time I could put one up, like this you can mirror, however it will be the same. I think wget can do the same too

of course if needed my mirror is your…

I suppose a cloud load balancer would be needed, but I don’t know if there are any for free

1 Like

Hi

As a start a simple dual entry in DNS would be better than nothing… A dual or multile DNS entry results in a round robin…

This was often done, before the advent of automatic multiple mirrors.

My 2 cents
Andy

I agree, that’s the simplest solution but IMO it’s still overkill for this particular use case.
Bear in mind that actually mirrorlist for nethserver is server just from a single host since years :

Often, the mirror lists are on a hosted server with enough bandwidth, but space can be an issue…
So round robin distributes the load for sites with enough space.

my bandwithd nor my space is an issue here

1.5G /…//NethServer/

This is what you need to mirror

Edit I could save by deleting /NethServer/6, about 269M

1 Like

However I do not regret the proxmox online and my three hosts, I can move things between them because I am still blocked by my provider soyoustart :expressionless:

No emails :frowning:

1 Like

That is a pretty stupid mechanism.
Yum does not make a copy the mirror-list with possible mirrors just in case the main (parent) mirror is down?

2 Likes

Yes, but the cache can expire.
IIRC expire time is set to 6 hours by default.

@giacomo

Interesting: Netflix also uses this system:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to think on this … still blocking by my ISP !!!

1 Like

I use a dyndns name for my repo. If the server goes down I just edit the dyndns IP to point to another mirror.
But there’s another single point of failure if the dyndns provider goes down…

1 Like

@stephdl Mine too! 1Gbps FTTH connection and 1TB of hard disk.
Like @Andy always says: My 2 cents :slightly_smiling_face:

When I started my repository in 2013-2014 it was a kind of game, however now I have too much people that rely on me… That a big point of failure :smiley:.

Let me solve my issue and think a bit on it

5 Likes

:orange_heart: :green_heart:

That’s why we are community,

If there is a path to “high availability” without disturbing/interfering with the things you do;
let’s find it…

3 Likes

What are the technical requirements of your hosted platform (bandwidth usage, static ip and so forth)?

1 Like

I have a Proxmox server with three VMs, it is not really a matter of power nor bandwith, just that I simply cannot watch my server.

I was hicking this weekend, the firewall of the VM was down, I received a first email à 9PM saturday about UDP packet going to IP in the datacenter, the second email was to say my IP is blocked. But I have been wake up by a herd of deer…just a kind of magic moment with the wild.

I was really far from IT, I even not got my laptop with me

I think a mirror arch is needed now.