Recipient address rejected: Access denied (554 5.7.1 Error)

NethServer Version: NethServer 7.8.2003
Module: postfix?

I’m trying to get a mailing list application running on my nethserver. I have two candidates up and running: mailman and sympa. My intent is to allow subscribers from outside the server’s domain. When I test both installations using my Gmail account, I get the following failure message:

The response from the remote server was:
554 5.7.1 listname@neth.roe3.org: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

When I try sending mail to a created account on the server, I get the same failure message:

The response from the remote server was:
554 5.7.1 admin@neth.roe3.org: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

I’ve searched everywhere for clues as to how to fix “554 5.7.1” errors and most of them point to blacklisting (which has been checked), DNS (which has also been checked, and to the /etc/postfix/main.cf file (which with the templating is a bit mysterious).

I’m not embarrassed to admit that I’m confounded. I’m a longtime user of the e-smith server and have deployed the mailman package on that platform for years with no problems.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-MD

Nethserver’s sympa module?

1 Like

Yes . . . Nethserver’s sympa module.

@support_team, any idea?
Maybe you have already checked this info:

Are you sure it is not a restrictive measurement by gmail? do you get the same error if you send from a non-gmail address? (for instance, from your ISP)
Are you sure you have set up mail for that domain correctly? (MX records, DKIM etc…)

Yes . . . I checked the information each of the sites you recommended as well as dozens of others. My firewall log and postfix/maillog show nothing. The error message appears to be generated by /var/run/dovecot/lmtp on my nethserver. I’m trying to see how that integrates with postfix.

I have DKIM and MX set up for the domain and get green lights from testing sites. I have also tried sending mail to the server via other non-Gmail addresses and get the same error message. I’m baffled, but am still investigating and trying to figure it out. Thanks for the assistance.

EDIT2:

I saw you sent a mail to admin and I tested it from my address and got the same error so it’s not a sympa problem.

Please share your postfix config:

config show postfix

EDIT3:

Is admin@neth.roe3.org entered in the Addresses? (see docs)

Do you use a smarthost?

Thanks for checking . . .

• I’m not using a smarthost

• admin@neth.roe3.org is entered in Mail > Addresses

• config show postfix
    postfix=service
    AccessBypassList=
    AccessPolicies=
    AlwaysBccAddress=
    AlwaysBccStatus=disabled
    ConnectionsLimit=0
    ConnectionsLimitPerIp=0
    DynamicGroupAlias=disabled
    HeloHost=
    MessageQueueLifetime=4
    MessageSizeMax=20000000
    SenderValidation=disabled
    SmartHostName=
    SmartHostPassword=
    SmartHostPort=25
    SmartHostStatus=disabled
    SmartHostTlsStatus=enabled
    SmartHostUsername=
    SystemUserRecipientStatus=disabled
    TCPPorts=25,465,587
    access=green,red
    status=enabled

Here’s a webpage save from MXToolbox.com’s Domain Health Report::Mailserver section . . .
https://neth.roe3.org/mdrone/neth.roe3.org_domainhealth.html
From what I can gather, it doesn’t appear to be a DNS problem.