Raid1 degraded, delete the second Volume

Hello,

I’ve been reading here for a few months now and switched from SBS2011 to Nethserver 7.9 about a year and a half ago. Thanks to this forum I was able to solve all the problems I had during the whole time. That’s why I would like to thank all the people who support all the users tirelessly and of course all the developers who make this project possible. THANK YOU!

Recently I moved my installation from an ESXi 6 to an ESXi 8. Since I wanted to get rid of my NFS mounts, I chose a fresh install followed by a backup restore, which worked fine so far. Unfortunately, I was careless during setup and created a Raid1 volume for both the SWAP file and the system, which is of course completely unnecessary since the ESXi’s datastores already consist of a Raid5.

Now I have the problem that my Raid1 is shown as degraded, can I correct this error without starting all over again?

1 Like

Hi and welcome to NethServer Community,

here are instructions to either remove the missing disks from the RAID1 or completely remove mdadm (please be sure to have a backup first!!!):

1 Like

Hi Markus,

thank you for your answer and the link. I have to look at it again in peace, that reads for me unfortunately not so simple.
Are there any disadvantages (e.g. performance) if I leave it as it is now?
If I make a snapshot on the ESXi before this intervention, can I then in case of an error back again and everything works again or helps here then also no snapshot more?

Hi

I’d suggest a full, independent Backup on ESXi, it’s fast enough… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy,
Okay, then I will create a complete backup before. Do I have any disadvantages if I leave the faulty Raid1 first still so. I have to deal with the topic and the article of Markus more intensively, that sounds unfortunately not so simple for me.
Regards
Erwin

@Niwre

Hi Erwin

As an old administrators adage is:

Better a backup to many, than one to little…!

That’s the main advantage of virtualization - snapshots and backups… :slight_smile:

But I might suggest having a look at Proxmox, my choice of Hypervisor (2015) after using VMWare since before 2000!
Especially with PBS, fast incremental Backups, also offsite if needed. :slight_smile:
A lot of stuff included that VMWare has a price tag on (hefty one at that!).

Disadvantages:

None, no matter how you may goof off, a good backup (Test it!) saves your butt.
You won’t be any better off, but you at least still have the status quo - as often as you need until you can fix it. Or backup Restore to a newer VM without the RAID to begin with…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your help. I’ve been reading the forum for a while now and I really like your posts, so I know your preference for Proxmox. I’ve thought about switching to Proxmox several times, but habit and a good running system have kept me away. But postponed is not canceled, let’s see what the future brings. :grinning:

I will now think about how I will solve the issue, a backup restore to a new VM would also be a possible scenario, so I have done it recently.

Thanks again for your support, now it’s up to me.

Regards
Erwin

As always, with a disaster recovery job in front of you:
Good luck!

It’s not only any skills as administrator, but one certainly doesn’t need a several hour city wide blackout during the critical phase… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Hello,

@mrmarkuz

I was able to fix the problem with your instructions and thus avoided another disaster recovery. I went for the first one “Lazy and easy”, was the easier way for me and worked fine. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

@Andy_Wismer

A blackout during a disaster recovery would be terrible of course, I hadn’t even thought of that during my first restore. :innocent:

It does not belong in this thread, but I would still like to thank you for your many contributions, I have already drawn good tips from it. I have adjusted my DNS settings, for example, after a contribution from you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Erwin

3 Likes