Question about open ports

Hi all,

I’d like to get your opinion.
I use OpenVPN as a tunnel to connect my two servers so that all networks can be reached.
The whole thing works very well.

What I have noticed is that the speed has significant losses.

Now I have created a local rule on each server to give the other server access to the SSHD service via the fixed IP.

Question:
It is limited to only one IP address at a time, should the port still be closed again after copying or is that still safe?
The speed is 1:1 what the line is capable of.

I am also considering releasing the proxy service with this.

Greetings and thanks

Nicky

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hi @supernicky

All forms of VPN do use overhead.

I tend to use IPsec for Site2Site VPNs and OpenVPNs for RoadWarriors.
I will be using Wireguard more in future, considering its advantages…

IPsec, in my experience tends to “scale” better than OpenVPN, especially for regular, large volume data-syncs (eg off site backups).

A lot of factors can and do play an issue:

• Type of data (compressed or not, or already pre-compressed, eg MP3 or JPG.
  • CPU Power on both ends doing the actual encryption, nowadays less use off CPU-Offloading with external encryption hardware…
  • Type of line/link and capacity
  • Fixed or dynamic IPs (Impact on security!)
  • Used encryption, nowadays, the following is geerally best practices with OpenVPN and IPsec: SHA512, AES-256-GCM (This one alone improves ca 30-40% compared to its AES256 predecessor!)…

An interesting comparison of thruput using OpenVPN and Wireguard…

A site2site VPN, with at least one side using static IP (even better is both sides using static IPs) offers much more security than a SSH connection, simply as the port is always occupied, any other IPs can be locked out.

Not only for SSH, but you should have Fail2ban on both sides!

My 2 cents
Andy

I use mainly OPNsense as firewall, and therefore VPN Endpoint, but I do have one NethServer in the cloud doing OpenVPN. My settings:

2 Likes