Proxmox HA chat

Ah–the part I was missing is that it’s not “storage” you click on (which is a datacenter-level item), but a specific storage for your specific host–yes, that works, and it works just as well with the NFS storage. Doesn’t look like there’s a way to select multiple templates at once (neither shift-click nor control/command-click work), but I guess I can live with downloading them individually.

You’re right, simu multi downloads aren’t an option…

But once playing about for 15 minutes, you’ll never want to miss Templates in Proxmox again!

NFS for containers need special attention.

In Templates, you’ll find further down Turnkey stuff. Great for a first look, but after seeing how things work, I prefer making my own…

Normal Proxmox “Storage” at a clients:

In the above case, Templates is the storage on NAS for - well - Templates :slight_smile:
It all depends on what you set for content:

At the moment i have no NAS running at home…

PS:

The Datacenter Level Storage or Backup are for configuring those items, not for actual usage…
The actual usage happens on server level…

Good afternoon Andy, yes I am and near Daytona.

I am thinking about going the ceph route and will look at the documentation you referenced later this evening.

I just want to make sure I am setting it up right and as you mentioned there seems to be quite the variance on the documentation, which makes it a little challenging to setup.

Thus I want to see if I can do a test build as close to the real build as possible, which I am trying to figure out the logistics of that.

I did configure the nested virtualization on the 1 host that will house the tertiary proxmox virtual host and I will be installing the os later this evening, but not sure on the drive piece for the tertiary virtual host I guess I can pretty much figure it out on the physical hosts.

I would say that’s the part I am a little unclear on.

Hi

You could pass thru an entire disk for the tertiary proxmox.

…though it’d sure be nice if they weren’t so slow–the SuiteCRM template took over two hours to download. Must be some slow mirrors.

I’m running into a problem with any of the turnkey templates, though (specifically, SuiteCRM, ZurmoCRM, or OSCommerce–I picked those mostly at random)–when I try to create a container using them, I get this:

The CentOS8 template worked just fine though.

@danb35

Hi Dan

After firing up a container and the current SuiteCRM from Turnkey - at the moment I can only confirm the error:

It seems to be with Turnkey images…
Strange, the last time I used the very SuiteCRM it worked and was online in 2 minutes…

My last projects with Turnkey were SuiteCRM and Jenkins, both about half a year to a year ago…

I’m verifying a bit more right now…

Andy

1 Like

At least it isn’t just me–thanks for the confirmation. I’d thought it might have something to do with running it on the NFS storage, so I’d started a download to local, but that’s two hours I can save.

@danb35

Download is extremly fast here, any of them are here in a minute or so…

The OS variants like debian, centos, ubuntu work for you?

Also good to know:
You can download and use almost any Linux Container Image, just place it in the right subfolder on your NFS or local storage…

@danb35

Solved!!!

When creating a TurnKey Container, make sure to uncheck the “unpriveleged container”.
Do this for any Containers which need themselves NFS access or such.

You can have three downloads running at the same time, seeing as your connection is a bit on the low end… Use all three web interfaces, each one downloading a separate image…

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or I guess I could do it at the CLI, multiple tmux/screen sessions.

1 Like

@danb35

As the saying goes, all roads lead to rome…

Got it working now?

Seems to be working, yes. I’m guessing I’d size CPU/RAM/disk similarly to a normal VM, maybe with a bit of a “discount”?

@danb35

This one is a project 1.5 years ago, it’s still running productive for about 30 people…

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-23 um 23.22.19 Kopie

That’s quite a bit of discount, seeing CPU, RAM and Disk, compared to what I’d allocate with a VM…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@danb35

Note: Turnkey Apps / Images are free, and can be downloaded also from their website, also in almost any variant you think off (Hyper-V, XEN, KVM…)

You do not need to use any of their services. I use Reverse Proxy in NethServer to allow external access, ssl is done by NethServer. I have my own monitoring on Zabbix, and I can handle a apt update… Turnkey uses almost exclusively debian, the same as in Proxmox and almost the same in my Raspberries… :slight_smile:

Ok, but if I do that then the secondary won’t be able to use the disk, unless I can partition it and still be able to do ceph? Unless I am wrong in my thinking?

@sektor

Parttioning the disk would be a BIG performance hit…
But then, this is only for aquaintance. Not planned for eternal use… :slight_smile:

Once you don’t need the proxmox inside proxmox, you can use the space for CEPH…

@Andy_Wismer. Yes that was my intention to utilize the full disk for ceph once everything was figured out, but partitioning those drives was the only way I can think of in regards to duplicating the drive layout for both the physical and virtual host.

@sektor

partition that last disk for the tertiary proxmox as needed, like the others, but smaller…
-> This single disk must take the place of several volumes on the other Proxmox…

Actually, it’s better to let proxmox split this disk to several volumes and give the volumes to the tertiary proxmox.

Like I said, must be a slow mirror. My Internet isn’t the fastest, but it’s plenty fast enough to download any of these in a few minutes.

Now if someone would build a LXC image for ArkCase…

1 Like

@danb35

ArkCase looks nice, seems to be Java based…

A pre cooked LXC image would be nice, but spinning up a debian and putting in the required dependencies shouldn’t take you that long… :slight_smile:
LXC makes it lean & mean - leaving plenty of your ample Proxmox resources for other stuff!

Also good to know: Monitoring with SNMP / Zabbix agents is just like on any other host… No issues due to LXC.

Ok, time for me to do an orderly shutdown, or at least a sleep mode…
As is, i’m violating the local labor laws - and helping out a lawyer employed by the state, no less!
But then again - am I working - or just dabbling in my hobbies?

Enjoy the power of LXC in Proxmox - test out also backups & snapshots in your environment, but I assume it’ll all work satisfactorily. LXC in Proxmox is one of those things, once discovered, you’ll never want go back to being without…

My 2 cents
Andy