Proxmox and vlan aware?

Hi Andy, I like you had already submitted the problem in the forum, but still nothing!

What do you think?

Hi

I personally deactivate Proxmox firewall on every VM NICā€¦

I have a hardware perimeter firewall, so nothing needs protection inside the LAN. Only 1-2 windows workstations if any running.

And it was working before the 7x upgradeā€¦

I still think somewhere inside Proxmox / Debian itā€™s broken.
As I only have a Debian VM, I canā€™t test that. My vLAN does work on a Raspberry and Macā€¦

:frowning:

I donā€™t know! But I have no doubt about what you write! However, in the opinion of the other users it would seem that nothing is done without the intervention on the switch! Strange that they didnā€™t answer you in your forum post. However, letā€™s keep in touch with the news regarding our question

1 Like

A lot of the forum only uses managed switches seems. I do have one, but here itā€™s not really involved, as my OPNsense is in another room and I donā€™t have parallel wiring for 2 networksā€¦

:slight_smile:

I understand but then it is correct to write by users who have configured theirs with switches and not as you did in the past on version 6. However, I have a managed 24-port switch, but for a technical point I would like to build the vlan network with proxmox aware vlan support.

A vLAN works with or without a managed switch, thatā€™s the issueā€¦
Only on Proxmox it has at the moment issues

If you have general network connectivity, it should work to use the vLAN ā€œTagā€ on two NICs of two different hosts to be able to connect ā€œanotherā€, seperate network.

I have the vLAN at home active on two different Linux systems (Raspberry and OpenWRT), a Macbook and an OPNsense (Hardened BSD) hardware box.

So I do understand how it works and itā€™s limitsā€¦

Only on Proxmox - and only after the upgrade - it stopped working.

And I have a few clients where I can play around, they could use the vLAN feature there too, but I canā€™t get it working with Proxmox. It can only ping itself, no other sees itā€¦

:frowning:

More answers ā€¦

In any case, you must setup your network equipment properly to allow vlanā€™s to travel among your switch ports. If your switch is not configured to allow tagged packets and/or allow vlan200 at least for the ports used by your serverā€™s LAN interfaces, no host configuration will override those settings.

1 Like