For what it’s worth:
I just did the following on fully updated servers:
- starting situation:
server1.ad.mydomain.com > ad server
server2.ad.mydomain.com > neth member server with SOGo installed
server3.ad.mydomain.com > neth member server for filesharing and ftp
server4.ad.mydomain.com > neth member server with website
server5.ad.mydomain.com > neth member server with wip alfresco installation
For all these servers their FQDN at server installation was set to server#.mydomain.com
For unknown reasons I could not at the time create the ad domain mydomain.com and thus went with the domain ad.mydomain.com. The FQDN of these servers was server#.MYDOMAIN.COM
The fileserver was an exception, I had been playing with that. It’s FQDN was already effortlessly changed after unbinding, to server3.ad.mydomain.com and then succesfully rejoined to ad.mydomain.com after some persuasion.
- unbind 5 member servers from the AD domain: AD.MYDOMAIN.COM
- set FQDN for server3 back to server3.mydomain.com
- make sure that FQDN on domain server is server1.mydomain.com
- reset samba to factory defaults
- create the domain mydomain.com on server1
- set admin passwords
- rejoin servers to domain
During this I changed the FQDN on 1 server, 3 times in a row with rebinding and unbinding in between, and even completely recreated the domain. This went all with just one error which did not repeat when the same action was tried again (bind the fileserver to the domain).
I did not try to restore the users or the groups, as I had none that mattered. I recreated the same users, and all the configuration on the other servers started working again.
This included SOGo mailboxes still working, still containing the test mail, etc.
This also includes the home-shares.
During testing of having the same FQDN as the domain you are trying to create, I first changed the FQDN from server1 to server1.ad.mydomain.com and recreated that domain succesfully, and then reverted back to server1.mydomain.com to create domain mydomain.com
So the FQDN of the Nethserver running the samba container, was changed as well.
There is very little custom config in there, so the process outlined two posts back seems to have improved.
Not tested where custom ACL’s set through the UI or custom righst set through RSAT.