Problem with downloading packages

If that works change dns to 192.168.1.254 and 1.1.1.1 on nethserver dashboard

Dashboard - orion.ksatdesign.com.au 2021-12-08 13-44-53

Once were able to ping google and get a response you will be able to install the applications

Ok friend, try from the cmd and if both ping (google and the ip) work, after that add 192.168.1.254 to the DNS, but finally it does not allow me to download the packets yet.

@davidbeckman
@Shane_Treweek

Hi

I see only IPv6 replies from Google, but IPv4 replies from the local router (Provider Modem?).

NethServer doesnā€™t really support IPv6 at allā€¦
Maybe that is the problem hereā€¦

It could be that the Provider is doing CG-NAT or passing IPv4 over IPv6, both of which could create issues hereā€¦

Another possible issue: Not all Provider Modems can act as DNS. Here in Switzerland, the major cable providers boxes do not have a DNS built inā€¦
In this case however, it does seem to do resolving, albeit with IPv6ā€¦ :frowning:

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

I have to agree here

Unfortunately I donā€™t have a lot of experience with ipv6 as in Australia we donā€™t use it I suppose the short answer is to use 2 public DNS either cloudflare or Google (cloudflare 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1 Google 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4) that should at least get the install working then you would need a solution for local resolution normally Iā€™d suggest use nethserver but Iā€™m not sure in thatā€™s best practice in this case as your nethserver is running vm I donā€™t see any issues but @Andy_Wismer would know more than me

Hi

VMWare Workstation should not be an issue, it acts just like VMWare ESXi network-wise.
You will have to activate ā€œpromicious modeā€ in VMWare Workstation for the NIC of the NethServer if you want to use AD later on.

I see the IPv6 to Google as the bigger issueā€¦

What kind of provider-modem do you have?

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hi @Andy_Wismer ,
wouldnā€™t it be possible to setup nethserver for internal DNS and use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as external DNS?
I think this way the modem only has to route the IPv4 ping through IPv6.

1 Like

@m.traeumner

Hi

It should be possible, but - as always - difficult to say without knowing what modell of Provider-Modem is concerned, or what technology behind (cable, dsl, fiberā€¦).

A simple check would be on the NethServer console, eg with:

nslookup www.google.com. 8.8.8.8

Note:
The dot ā€œ.ā€ after www.google.com. is VERY important. It signals the resolver NOT to add in the local domain name at the end (like an ā€œend of statementā€ sign).

That would be resolving www.google.com using the DNS of Google.
If a coherent answer is recieved, it should workā€¦
If not, more infos is needed.

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes