Problem to open a document in Nextcloud Office

@transocean would you please share which is your “phisical” CPU on your node, and… more info about your current hardware and virtual hardware setup?

Hi @pike

physical hardware is this: ODROID-H3+ – ODROID

And virtual HW ist this:

KVM + ZFS + NS8 + NextCloud + NextCloud Office… on this hardware seems a bit too much.

SSD can help to reduce latency due to disk access and transfer rate, however… All this slices are not that thin to chew.
I know that seems counter-intuitive, but I’d try to lower the cores on the NS8 guest, allowing Proxmox to have more grunt to manage the underlying processes.
I’d won’t go on three cores, however into the history some processor had (AMD…).

The problem was solved by changing the underlying OS from Debian 12 bookworm to Rocky Linux. In addition to login to Webtop, collabora now also runs smoothly and at a good speed.

Regards…

Uwe

the question is, why does it not work on debian but works on rocky

Unfortunately, I’m not deep enough into the subject to be able to answer the question. But the fact is that the problems I described earlier have disappeared from the face of the earth since I switched to Rocky Linux.

Regards…

Uwe

can you try to replicate the said error if you deploy another server with the parameters as before

I have already done this by installing three additional nodes and integrating them as workers. Nextcloud and Collabora on one, Webtop and Mailserver on the second and Mattermost on the third. Nothing really worked. Now I have installed everything on a Leader Node (Rocky) and everything is running fine.

@transocean you replaced Debian with Rocky Linux into the VM?
I got it correctly?

AFAIK the VM image released by Nethesis for NS8 was exactly Rocky Linux based…

Is it possible that the change from samba to openldap has something to do with the performance increase and the lesser problems (or that was on another node)?

@dnutan,

may be. I will test it later with Sanba.

@pike,

I did not use the ready-made VM image, but installed the respective OS as a VM.

May I suggest to put into docs this experience. This is the wording I’d use.

If you’re considering to install in any virtual environment NethServer 8, some users experienced better performances using Rocky Linux instead of Debian 12.
Also, the pre-made VM image is Rocky Linux based.

Just a simple… feel free to elaborate, modify, make it compliant with the current wording and style.

Thanks @transocean

@pike,

That’s ok for me for now. But we should wait until I have a second test machine with Samba-AD later. Maybe Debian wasn’t the brake at all, but it was due to the change of account provider.

After a further test with a new virtual machine (OS Rocky) and Samba-AD as account provider, I can confirm that all applications that previously did not work under Debian 12 are running flawlessly and at a good speed. At the moment these are Collabora, Mailserver, Mattermost, Nextcloud and Webtop. Opening documents with Collabora works well. I installed Webtop normally from the software center and not with the command that @stephdl posted here.

1 Like

Hello Friends,

i have now carried out one last test. I have set up two new VM’s with Debian 12 bookworm and installed NS 8 on them. 1x Leader with only Samba AD on it and 1x Worker with Mail, Webtop, Nextcloud, Collabora and Mattermost on it. The AD on the Leader node is stable. On the Worker node, only the mail server and Mattermost work satisfactorily. Nextcloud runs much slower than under NS 8 in conjunction with Rocky 9.3, also Collabora. Webtop can be installed, but the login does not work. Both nodes ran with four processor cores and 20 GB RAM each under Proxmox on an ODROID H3+. It may be that the difficulties have something to do with the hardware, which is designed to be somewhat economical. At least as far as the processor is concerned. However, the question remains as to why this works without problems under Rocky 9.3 and also uses the RAM more sparingly. For my part, I will say goodbye to NS8 in conjunction with Debian for the time being and use Rocky Linux as the basic framework for NS8 in future.

Regards…

Uwe

Do you remember if on Debian 12 open-vm-tools package was installed?
I find puzzling that ProxMOX (debian based) don’t work well with Debian guest…

Really with Proxmox?
Normally, you should install qemu-guest-agent

Thanks for the insight, @capote.
You’re indeed correct
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent
I and i got myself in a QEMU-noob zone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good morning,

Debian under Proxmox runs wonderfully. I use a Debian machine on Proxmox for my daily “homework”. However, we are talking about Debian as the basic framework for NS 8. The qemu gast agent is activated on both VMs.

1 Like