Portainer/docker container backup chat

Hi

I would love some insights about backup and docker container, how you do it , can you share your ideas, your good practices.

For what I saw it is not so easy nor documented to do it, I suppose the right manner could be with docker volume!

The backup should not docker-wide but per application.: every application should take of its own backup.

If the application is using NethServer MariaDB instance, the db is already inside the backup but you will probably need to backup extra data.

In the end, I’d start with a documentation page on how to add actions to existing backup events.

Thank giacomo for your hint :wink:

Docker is ephemeral, short time of life so yes definitely we need to think about backup :wink:

With docker you have to think about persistent data, either bind folder or docker volume. We could imagine to save this, for docker volume it is always the same place, for bind folder, the sys admin should use the same place (/var/lib/portainer) for example and we could backup it.

Of course if a dump of a specific database or specific actions must be done in the container, the admin is on his own to do it.

I would be pleased to listen other people on backup and docker

In the meantime some time has passed and Docker solutions are getting more and more interesting. I have taken the first small steps to test them and wonder what would be a suitable backup-restore strategy to perform in each case

1. disaster recovery of a complete NS with Docker/Portainer.
  2. docker/portainer individually
    …to realize.

I haven’t found anything on the forum about this and this thread would be a suitable one for this.

1 Like

docker stores the data in the concept of volumes, it is a path to your hard drive, then you can imagine to add the volume to the data backup, one example with mail piler (which is three containers based with docker-compose)

1 Like

Thank you. I will define a separated custom backup.

I saw Nethserver piler somewhere but did not understand it.