POP3 Connector MultiDrop mode

pop3connector
email
mail

(bob) #1

NethServer Version: 7.4.1708
Module: POP3 Connector

Hello All,
I’ve just installed NethServer since it’s time to replace my aging ClearOS server.

How do I set up the POP3 Connect to operate in MultiDrop mode? I’ve seen these postings:

There is mention of a new MultiDrop feature in the POP3 Connector, but this doesn’t seem to have happened, will MultiDrop ever be implemented via the GUI?

many thanks
Bob

(Filippo Carletti) #2

Probably not in the coming days, but, as always, contributions are welcome.
The manual modifications needed are really simple and, given the low amount of requests for this feature, I think that using custom templates is the best way to “solve” the need.

Recap:

1. create an account in the pop3 connector interface, let’s say info@example.org
  2. go to the command line and make it a multidrop

db getmail setprop info@example.org Retriever MultidropPOP3Retriever

1. Create two custom templates:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/
    cp -p /etc/e-smith/templates/getmailrc/20destination /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/
    sed -i “/OUT/s/\$name/%(recipient)/” /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/20destination
    echo “envelope_recipient = delivered-to:1” >/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/11envelope

2. Apply config:

signal-event nethserver-getmail-update

(bob) #3

@filippo_carletti many thanks for the rapid and detailed response.

But, I’ve completed the steps as you’ve told me but “signal-event nethserver-getmail-update” removes the .cfg file from /var/lib/getmail

Should the /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/ director have some other files in it? (Not just 20destination and 11envelope).

Many thanks
Bob

(Filippo Carletti) #4

Please post output of db getmail show (mask the password).

(bob) #5

It’s not actually a valid POP3 account, so there are no security issues. I’ve masked my actual email address though!

[root@nethserver getmail]# db getmail show
hello@here.com=getmail
Account=xxx@xxx.com
Delete=0
Password=njiojo
Retriever=MultidropPOP3Retriever
Server=123.456.789.111
SpamCheck=enabled
Time=60
Username=bob
VirusCheck=enabled
status=enabled

(Filippo Carletti) #6

The only difference with my working config is that I didn’t set the Account (I think it’s obvious, mails should go to different accounts).
Please, try to remove it:

db getmail delprop hello@here.com Account

Or use the web interface.

(bob) #7

[root@nethserver getmail]# db getmail show
hello@here.com=getmail
Delete=0
Password=njiojo
Retriever=MultidropPOP3Retriever
Server=123.456.789.111
SpamCheck=enabled
Time=60
Username=bob
VirusCheck=enabled
status=enabled

signal-event nethserver-getmail-update doesn’t generate any config file. /var/lib/getmail is empty.

This is the entry from /etc/cron.d/getmail
*/59 * * * * root /usr/bin/flock -n -E 0 /var/lib/getmail/hello@here.com.cfg

the file /var/lib/getmail/hello@here.com.cfg doesn’t exist

Thanks for your help.
Bob

(Filippo Carletti) #8

I just did everything I listed above and the /var/lib/getmail/info@example.org.cfg file is there. I even removed it and signal-event re-created it.
I’m out of ideas.

(bob) #9

That is strange.
Here’s the errors from /var/log/messages
Mar 22 17:02:55 nethserver esmith::event[7548]: ERROR in /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/20destination: Program fragment delivered error <<syntax error at /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/20destination line 10, near “$%(”>> at template line 4 Mar 22 17:02:55 nethserver esmith::event[7548]: ERROR: Template processing failed for //var/lib/getmail/hello@here.com.cfg: 1 fragment generated errors Mar 22 17:02:55 nethserver esmith::event[7548]: at /etc/e-smith/events/nethserver-getmail-update/S20nethserver-getmail-conf line 20. Mar 22 17:02:55 nethserver esmith::event[7548]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/nethserver-getmail-update/S20nethserver-getmail-conf SUCCESS [0.113187]

This is contents of /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/20destination

destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda
{
my $user = $account->prop(‘Account’) || ‘root’;
my ($name, $passwd) = getpwnam($user);
if ($name eq ‘’) {
$name = ‘root’;
}
$%(recipient) .= “arguments = (”-e","-d","$name")";
}
user = vmail
group = vmail

(Filippo Carletti) #10

Good catch.
Discourse (the software powering this forum) ate one character in my post.
In the sed command, in front of $name there should be a backslash character (\).
Edit: discourse always eat backslashes.

sed -i “/OUT/s/\$name/%(recipient)/” /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/20destination

Delete the file, cp it again and re-run the sed command.
Note: I’m going to edit my post adding a second backslash.

(Filippo Carletti) #11

(bob) #12

That did it!
Forums are great (until they eat your commands)
(It’s great to get a member of NethServer dev team helping me, THANK YOU).
Regards
Bob

(Michael Kicks) #13

Let’s see if it’s worth the shot…
sed -i “/OUT/s/\\$name/%(recipient)/” /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/getmailrc/20destination
yep… ctrl+shift+c for use the syntax

(bob) #14

OK, I’ve been trying to get GetMail working with multidrop, but I’m struggling. It’s probably best if I explain exactly what I’m trying to do.

I have 4 users: mum, dad, child1, child2
All the email goes into a single POP3 mail box at my ISP.
Each user has their own email address (e.g. mum@address.com, dad@address.com)
Every time we set up a new online account with a company, we give out a new email address (e.g. company1@address.com, company2@address.com, school@address.com, builders@address.com). My ISP allows me to drop emails sent to specific addresses, so if a company starts to send too much spam I can drop their emails.

I need to route all the unsorted emails to users mum & dad.
I then need to set up specific aliases so certain emails go to mum, e.g. school@address.com, and certain address go to dad, e.g. builders@address.com

I currently do all this with my ISP mail server by filtering the email into 4 different mailboxes and then downloading those mailboxes using FetchMail (to an old ClearOS server). I was hoping to be able to manage the whole thing using NethServer. Can I implement this using GetMail with mail aliases plus "domain accept unknown recipients"on Nethserver, or do I need to change my MX records to route mail directly to my Nethserver box and bypass my ISP mailserver (i.e. not use GetMail)?

Many thanks
Bob

(Michael Kicks) #15

The new mail address gave to the online account (e.g. builders@address.com) is an alias? Or a mailbox?

(bob) #16

builders@address.com would be an alias of dad@address.com.

I got it all sorted in the end. Please see here: