Pop3 connector feature

This i want too.

Regards

I do not want a synchronisation.
The public server has much less storage capacity.
So I do not want the emails to stay on the public server.
Is this possible?

Regards

this what I have in mind, work in progress

2 Likes

It would be better when we all test the things on NS8, and kindly ask for features or point out some errors. They can not do all the things for us, and we are waiting only for the end product.
Test and than pont your views.

1 Like

As mentioned, imapsync can pull/push messages from IMAP accounts, sync them, etc. It can sync inbox (or any folder) to any IMAP destination (main folder, sub-folder…), it has some filters that can be used, for instance, to free up space by deleting old messages, or as a poor-man’s backup (copy/duplicate an IMAP account, although for mail archiving purposes there is mailpiler), etc.

Its configuration can be complex (that’s a feature and a drawback at the same time).

It can “handle” Gmail with its one all-messages folder and the “virtual folders” tags, although to have into account that the tags can change if user switches UI language.

If no imap access, and want to avoid full-blown mail tools, the same imapsync manual mentions other tools like pop2imap.

Imapsync is not suitable for maintaining a synchronization between two active imap accounts while the user is working on both sides.

That could be the simpler approach. Otherwise -for a fine-grained control-, a complex UI could require listing detected IMAP folders (current ones and notify about future new folders) to choose what to sync, where to sync it, when (schedule), which filters to apply…

Gilles (imapsync dev) has also shared a simple UI with a CGI script for anyone willing to implement the same service he offers online (but without the support and expertise he has on the topic).

If using NethServer 7 and the uses described in the manual fill your needs: Email — NethServer 7 Final
Otherwise you can install it on your linux distribution repos and manually configure it to your needs. For more information on installing it: Official imapsync migration tool ( release 2.264 )

Yes. Sync from public server to local server with an option to delete from public server the messages that have been synced already. But at the moment you have to read imapsync documentation (or search online for examples) and do your own testing (using a --dry run for testing without screwing things up).

1 Like

I know the difference between POP3 and IMAP(S). First pulls, second usually syncs.
Still IMAP(S) can be used AS POP3. In other words use IMAP(S) protocol for the transfer and then ask remote server to delete (which I suspect is happening by “syncing” to an empty fake mailbox AFTER transfer? Not sure if it is done via some other method.).

Right now, without me doing anything except setting up a few IMAPS connectors, I get mail from my public server, mail gets removed from public server and stays in my NS7 mail server.
I still want that.
I don’t want to edit custom templates or whatever. Can it be done in NS8 too?
If it will not happen, then I (not so) simply have to look for other solutions to implement this.
Mail (and webtop) is is the main functionality of my own NS7 server. If I don’t get the same, there is really no point.
For most other functions I already have containers or VMs in my host (UNRAID).

For now only imapsync is/will be available. The interest for imapsync is that we do not filter the email via an antispam because we talk directly to dovecot.

Available options

Sync remote inbox folder and possibly remove from remote after sync
Sync full remote folders and possibly remove from remote after sync
Do a full remote clone on local

You can create as many sync tasks you need on a local account, no more limited to one like in NS7

You can create a cron task

Not sure about getmail in NS8

1 Like

Question “back to basics”:
So how does the migration tool handle those IMAPS connectors I have in NS7?

The migration tool still does not handle them. We didn’t evaluate it yet.

Edit: @stephdl is working on a migration procedure from NS7 Getmail/Imapsync to NS8 Imapsync

1 Like

Is the migration in RC1?

It is not released yet. Stay tuned with this issue Migrate Getmail configuration to NS8 · Issue #6776 · NethServer/dev · GitHub

1 Like

To get the Smarthost and POP3/IMAP-Connector functionality under NS8 is really important…

Did you try it?

No, is this a NS8-Module, how can I get it?

Yes it’s an official module in beta release. You’ve to enable the testing flags of the default repository to see it.

@stephdl is it time for a stable release?

2 Likes

I think yes. We could release

ns8-imapsync released in in stable

5 Likes

Thank you, guys. You did a great job, I love it!

2 Likes

I tried it, and it works great. But i read about final Nethserber 8 that there is a Smarthost, where to find the Module?

Basic smarthost for Apps: on Cluster Settings -> Email notifications