POP3 Connector does not work Properly

NethServer Version: 7.5
Module: POP Connector

I have 4 users for which POP Connector should collect eMails from external sourses. Are are with the same account provider (web.de).
Three are running perfect, One does not.

According to Cron-Job failure E-Mail it is about User Name / Pasword:

Cron root@ebb-s01 /usr/bin/flock -n -E 0 /var/lib/getmail/juser@web.de.cfg -c “/usr/bin/getmail --getmaildir /var/lib/getmail/ --rcfile /var/lib/getmail/juser@web.de.cfg --quiet”

But definatly, the user name / pasword combination is correkt: I even did CRTL-C / CRTL-V from Nethserver Webinterface to Web.de login interface - which works.

Any Ideas?
Thank you in advance
Thorsten

Do you get more information when running the command?

/usr/bin/flock -n -E 0 /var/lib/getmail/juser@web.de.cfg -c "/usr/bin/getmail -vv --getmaildir /var/lib/getmail/ --rcfile /var/lib/getmail/juser@web.de.cfg"

Sorry, I do not know the command flock (I just arrived from the ubuntu section :slight_smile:
The answer to the command is:

flock: -c requires exactly one command argument

Sorry, corrected the command above (replaced quotation marks).

Result is
getmail version 5.5
Copyright (C) 1998-2012 Charles Cazabon. Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2.
SimplePOP3SSLRetriever:firstname.lastname@web.de@pop3.web.de:995:
firstname.lastname@web.de.cfg: operation error (POP error (-ERR authentication failed))
0 messages (0 bytes) retrieved, 0 skipped

but honestly: The password / user name is correct. I changed it to an extremly simple password and I transfered it by Copy-Paste from Nethserver Webinterface to Web.de Interface - where it works.

Thank you Thorsten

Has web.de mail any setting to enable POP3 support for external mail programs? Is it enabled for that account?

No, it does not. Moreover: I do get e-Mail from three other accounts with the same namepattern. Also, Iif I log into the web.de de interface I revieve e-mails showing multiple login errors.

At this stage I believe that Nethserver does not passe the username / password correctly.

Did the original password had special characters (like |, \ …) ?
Can you verify if the password is correctly stored in the database?

db getmail show juser@web.de
1 Like

Hi Marc,

yes, ther were special charaters, but I do not remember. The password in the database is correct. I did a countercheck via the respective file in /var/lib/getmail/user@web.de.cnf

Might this have cause any contemporary issues?

THX
Thorsten

Don’t think so. It could have created unexpected (but unused) db entries for that account.

The idea by Markus was to remove a dot from the end of the password - it does not help either.

YES, this was the solution - I did not know that. I am running my Web.de Account since more than 20 years. It mit be a “feature” implemente before my youngest son was born - The only account within my family where this feature applied. … Sorry for not noteing

Thanks and best regards
Thorsten