PixelFed on NethServer

We have several federated applications for NethServer. There are install howto’s for diaspora* and Funkwhale. I’d love to see this enhanced by another alternative for one of the biggest social media platforms now. This is about a picture share platform that is similar to Instagram: PixelFed.
PixelFed uses the activitypub protocol, so you can connect/follow users on several other platforms too, like Mastodon, Friendica and Pleroma
I am a firm believer in decentralised services and oppose the mass data grabbing done by the large, centralized ‘social’ media platforms. And since Instagram is about the most popular social media platform, I think it is a good idea to start with PixelFed and make it available on NethServer.
Anyone care to join and try to install this on NethServer?

4 Likes

@robb

Hi Rob

I may have time these days, depending how well “rearranging” my home-IT goes…

Andy

I couldn’t find any install How To’s for CentOS7.
However, here is the official install documentation:

Here an installscript that is for Debian9: https://git.buttonmonkeys.de/andre/pixelfed-install-script
Maybe there are some hints in that script to make things work on NethServer.
Pixelfed can run with Mysql/mariadb or PostgreSQL. I’d favor pgsql over mariadb… But if mariadb is easier/more convenient, go for that…

@robb

If I have time later this week, I’ll fire up a Debian9 first, just to see what it looks and feels like, then attempt something on a Neth Testinstall and see if I don’t forget to docu my steps!

:slight_smile:

Andy

2 Likes