Option to remove old kernels

Current versions of Neth should limit themselves to five installed kernels. It’s probably more than are needed, but there still should be cleanup going on.

1 Like

I can confirm 5 kernels on my test install. No issues so far…

There is plenty of systems with long uptime: at reboot they can jump many kernel releases …Perhaps 5 is not so much for them!

…but they really should be rebooted when a new kernel is installed. Otherwise, what’s the purpose in installing it? SME went overboard in requiring reboots, but this is one place where I think Neth should at least prompt for one.

Let me say that who’s installing NethServer for the first time should know that linux need a reboot at least for kernels…

You’re both right, however I believe the Red Hat support team considered the default value carefully and I wouldn’t change it.

I agree a reboot warning could be a nice thing!

I think the more likely case was, “eh, five looks about right, doesn’t it?” “Sure.” It’s probably more than are really needed, but I don’t see that it does any real harm–and if you have a really space-constrained /boot device you can always change the default. As long as the number isn’t too excessive, and the automatic cleanup is working (which it seems to be), I don’t see a problem.

1 Like