OpenProject app added to Nextcloud

Hello Team,

OpenProject has been added as an App (a view) in Nextcloud now. Is there anyone testing to install OpenProject on Nethserver? Or is Nethserver considering adding OpenProject?

Seeing as we have Nextcloud as a supported app I think adding OpenProject would be a good app to add as well.

Cheers!

I just installed this yesterday on a clean CentOS 7 & Nethserver 7.9.

Installation was literally 2 setps on Nethserver

Add OpenProject repo

sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/openproject.repo \
https://dl.packager.io/srv/opf/openproject/stable/11/installer/el/7.repo

Install Open Project

sudo yum install openproject

3 Likes

Thanks very much @royceb for this reply. I’m installing OpenProject now on my test Nethserver.

What did you choose when you issued the configure command?

openproject configure

I’ve tried the defaults from the configure wizard. I had chosen 127.0.0.1 as the location for the postgresql database over port 5432. I’m receiving this error:

rake aborted!
ActiveRecord::ConnectionNotEstablished: could not connect to server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host “127.0.0.1” and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

What is the username and password to add openproject to the nethserver postgresql database?

Also, to login to OpenProject, do I add a port to my nethserver webpage?

Thanks.

I took all of the default values (except self hosted postgresql on NS) and did not select to use SSL for testing. I also installed Open Project via docker on NS. You have so many ways to implement it.

This is beyond how far I got to using OP on NS; the login URL worked on the http:// ip address & hostname replacing the default NS page. I think it would be better to create a virtual host for OP but that is an area of my knowledge I am weak at. In the end I have been using OP on a dedicated CentOS VM.

1 Like

OpenProject allows me to re-run the configure command using:

sudo openproject configure

I’m reconfiguring now. The first step is for the postgreql install. Did you install a new Postgresql and database locally or did you use the existing database in Nethserver?

I had used the postgreql IP of 127.0.0.1 but received a “Connection not established” error and my connection was refused. I think this error is related to my access to the local postgresql database. What password does Nethserver set for this database? Any ideas?

I’ll kick at this can for a bit longer but I may have to install OP on a dedicated server instead. Just thought it would be a good project to have Nethserver host now that Nextcloud can integrate with it more easily

Thank you.

You really should consider using the Nethserver Docker/Portainer setup. You could have OP deployed in 10 minutes up to date, self contained and easily portable.

1 Like

Hi @royceb, I’ve not used the Nethserver Docker/Portainer before but I’d be happy to learn. I see a Docker Community Edition in the Software Center? Is that what you are referring too?

Are there instructions on how to add OP to Nethserver using docker I could follow?

Thank you.

If you virtualize Nethserver, I’d take a snapshot before making any changes so you can easily roll back or test this on a new Nethserver VM/hardware.

My general approach was something as follows:

• Install Nethserver Docker Community Edition

• Enable Portainer (optional GUI management for Docker)
    config setprop portainer status enabled
    signal-event nethserver-docker-update

• Create Open Project Container (multiple choices, code below is a quick deploy setup)
    docker run -it -p 8080:80 -e SECRET_KEY_BASE=secret openproject/community:11

• Login to your OP docker after container downloads and runs at http://localhost:8080

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your experience. I will take this path too for the first installation…

Hello @royceb,

Thank you for this quick install of openproject! I’ve followed your steps but I’ve received the following error:

docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint stupefied_proskuriakova (423ab2b53ea4724bf084ab6c7ed50935777d5e2ca7ec8ec66912df55d730d968): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8080: bind: address already in use.
ERRO[0409] error waiting for container: context canceled

It appears I’m already using 8080 but I’m not sure where? Any idea if/how I can change the port used by openproject.

Thank you.

Good morning from Seattle, WA.

Doing detective work as to what port maybe occupied at 8080 you can change it to any acceptable port you want. For example, binding the port to 8888:80. @pike also has a recent deployment he documented.

2 Likes

It could be tomcat, see wiki.

You may check with

lsof -i -P -n | grep 8080

2 Likes

Hello @royceb and @mrmarkuz,

Issuing the command lsof -i -P -n | grep 8080 does show that tomcat is using that port:

java 967 tomcat 51u IPv6 22352 0t0 TCP *:8080 (LISTEN)

I don’t recall installing tomcat on this test server. But 8080 is being used by tomcat. So does this mean that the instructions royceb provided in using docker will not work for me because openproject needs port 8080 and my tomcat server is already using 8080?

Royceb - you mention that I can bind to port 888:80 instead of 8080 using the docker install? Would you be able to assist with what instruction I would need to issue to change the binding port for my openproject?

Lastly, thank you for the mention of Pike’s install of openproject he documented. I’ve looked at this and it’s not using docker but I’ll give it a try as well. But the docker install seemed very easy and quicker to use.

Thank you.

Thank you, I learned a new command & options today.

@greavette I am no expert at this by any means and ended up with my OpenProject in a dedicated VM just like my NS installs. This might change when NS8 comes of out or TrueNAS Scale does well with Docker management but nested virtualization on my hypervisor didn’t seem worth the hassle.

Is it possible you are using Guacamole (this runs Tomcat on port 8080)? If not the alternative is to manually configure your OpenProject container to listen on some other port like 8888 see Reverse Proxy Setup.

Once you are successful on getting OP on a different port Docker needs to map that new port to something available on your NS host. The default now is 8080:80 but this might be problematic in two ways when hosted on NethServer for you. Your 8080 is already giving you issues and NethServer uses port 80 for the default webpage and this can be fixed by adjusting the mapped port values to 8888:8888 for example.

1 Like