Open port 2525 on firewall

Using current version of nethserver.

Update master.cf, added in entry for port 2525 for smptd.

Trying to receive email from ghettosmtp. They receive email on port 25 and send it to my ip on port 2525. How do I open port 2525 and smptd receive it?

Hi Bruce, thanks for posting and welcome.

Can you give is a bit more info on your setup? For instance a quick/dirty flow of your network diagram with the incoming mail and how Nethserver has been setup for your use case. From an initial view maybe port-forwarding to your nethserver local host may be a simple solution rather than changing the hard-coded ports for SMTP traffic while getting around ISP blocked ports.

I have Red and Green on firewall. Modified the master.cf and added entry 2525 pointing to smtpd. Ghettosmtp forwarding incoming email to my ???.no-ip.org port 2525. Looking to modify from cmd line, so port 2525 is open like port 25. Is this possible? I have created a custom template for port 2525 like smtp. But port 2525 is not open and receiving email.

To open a port you need to do 2 commands:
First create a service and add aport to this service and open that port in the NS firewall For ‘yourservice’ choose the servicename you wish the service should have. In this example both RED and GREEN interface will be added for the service.
Secondly you need to activate this action.

So you do something like:
config set yourservice service status enabled TCPPorts 2525 UDPPorts 2525 access red,green
and to activate this:
signal-event firewall-adjust

In case you ever want to disable the service:
config setprop yourservice status disabled

In case you want to delete the service:
config delete yourservice

More info: https://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/v7/services.html

Hey Robb,

Would there be any advantages/disadvantages of taking care of this same process via a port forwarding rule? I know for example I can say an external ns.example.com:880 can easily be redirected to 443 with 1 port forwarding rule enabled on the firewall. Probably 10 ways to accomplish the same desired outcome but I want to see if I am missing anything of note as a reason why one way might be more advantageous than another.