NS8 on a virtual machine running on a LOCAL LAN

Hi all,

I would like to chat with someone testing NS8 on a virtual machine running on a LOCAL LAN.

I have a chat room with BigBlueButton. (I am a newbie on BBB but I know it is working)

A few heads are better than only one…

Michel-André

1 Like

Just for the record: this forum has a chat room too!

I don’t have the icon… maybe it is not active for everyone?

2 Likes

Hi @saitobenkei

Same thing for me too.

Michel-André

I do have the icon - never used it, though…

1 Like

Hi @davidep

Is it a writing chat or a talking chat ?

Michel-André

Hi

Looks like a writing only chat to me - i’ve never used it…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Wismer

If it is only a writing chat, it is as useful as the BBS from the previous century…

Michel-André

1 Like

Hi

I’ve had my share of those great modem (or before that i actually used acustic-couplers) experiences, also CompuServe…

I can appreciate an interior holographic 3D display, with an antique looking steampunk style exterior, but not “mainframe” chat functionality on my present day Macbook!

Not even an option to activate a classic green-screen look, or orange, as some may prefer… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents!
Andy

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Wismer

300 Bauds was standard and 1200 Bauds was extreme speed ! :laughing:

Michel-André

Let’s ask @alefattorini

ZyXel modems were almost a household name then…

My first accoustic coupler was 75 baud… (I think, not sure anymore!)

It was not only the last century, it was the last millenium!

But 1200 made you feel like a millionaire then!

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Wismer

I remember 75 and 150 Bauds.

I was working on banking terminals from Olivetti with a wide 8 bits paper tape. It was THE thing…

There were 512 bytes stored on a round bobine of wire. At one end, the upper twisting magnet generates a 1 and the apposite twisting magnet was generating a 0. At the other end of the wire, a plunger was moved inside a coil in one direction by a 1 and in the other direction by 0. The ouput micro-amp was then amplified by 2-3 pcb and sent back to the top of the wire. Amazing technology.
You shake the box a little bit and the memory gets corrupted.

Can you imagine all the developments done since then…

Michel-André

When I was working for a subsidary of EY, we had a couple of different AS400s in the cellar, all running. Even one with memory cores board, as I recall…

The days IBM sold you a SCSI disk, the same as for a PC, but witjh a metal frame fitting their hardware for 4 times the market price - and SCSI disks weren’t cheap in those days!

:slight_smile:

The company “joke” in those days:

Endless FAX…

Your company had one of those big sized drum fed FAX machines.
Taping one end of the FAX to the beginning, you “emptied” the other sides huge drum during the night shift… The company didn’t notice the phone bill in those days…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

I enabled it just for a few users. I can activate it for everyone if you prefer

4 Likes