NS8 mail connection with webmail

NethServer Version: NS-8 Beta-1
Module: mail

Hi all,

I am able to connect to the NS8 mail server using Thunderbird without any problem.
I just gave my email address and Thunderbird discovered all the parameters automatically.

Is there a Webmail to acces the mail server of NS8 ?

Thank you,

Michel-André

Hi. Don’t know if they are ready but, if they are not available for installation on UI, you can try command-line installation.
Roundcube or Webtop. They need a dedicated virtualhost.
Haven’t tested yet though

Edit: quick and dirty test… they are in software center. During configuration of Roundcube it asks for a mail domain name and to choose the Mail server from a list. Login ton roundcube with a user@domain.tld was able to send and receive an e-mail. If login without the trailing @domain.tld, the sender shows up with an IP address and complains about it (format) if trying to send a e-mail.

3 Likes

Hi @dnutan

I can receive email with Thunderbird but I can not send email, it is complaining about the certificate.

Now I am looking to use the script acme.sh like I used to do with NS-7.
Is there a way to do that ?

Thank you

Michel-André

Hi @dnutan

I installed Webtop from the above link. In the configuration, I choose the displayed mail.rocky.toto.com and it went OK.

I cannot login to https://webtop.rocky.toto.com. I tried different user with only the user name and also with user@rocky.toto.com to no avail.

With Win-8.1, I can access https://webtop.rocky.toto.com.
I cannot access it with Firefox on my Ubuntu-22.04 running the VirtualBox running Rocky-9.2. Even after a reboot of Ubuntu-22.04.

I tried to uninstalled according to the above link but it refused to finish the uninstall.

I went back to a previous snapshot from before the installation of Webtop.

I tried to install from the software center but after i clicked Install, on the popup menu the Install button stay gray but the Cancel button is working.

I already have the modules: Mail and Roundcubemail installed:
Do they interfere with the installation of Webtop from the Software center ???

Michel-André

No, they do not interfere.
on webtop, login with short username sends e-mail with the AD domain… (if that is the account provider installed on the node), cannot login with mail address.

Note that by “quick & dirty test” I meant no Let’s Encrypt certificates, DNS records managed locally as well as only internal e-mail… so the test is not so useful after all as I left out a lot of configuration. Sorry if misled you.

Hi@michelandre,

here is Webtop running on a NS 8 Test VM without any problems. The installation was a bit tricky at the beginning. (Accountprovider AD) Then I additionally installed LDAP and after that the mail module together with webtop. I can send mails with Thunderbird as well as with webtop without problems. But as I said before, I’m using LDAP at the moment. I have only attached the file server to the Samba domain.

Regards…

Uwe

2 Likes

Hi @dnutan

I increased the VM memory from 8G to 12G and now it is installed.

But still, I cannot login with just user name or fully qualified username…

I added a Let’s Encrypt certificate on my main server (gateway) for rocky.toto.com, etc…
Still unable to login

What else can I try???

Michel-André

Take a look at the log near the lines with “Authentication error”.

Hi all,

I will restart all from scratch.

Michel-André

Hi @dnutan

I installed a brand new Rocky-9.2/NS8 under a new VM.

Rouncube is working but under Identity, the mail address is “user@10.5.4.1” i.e the IP the cluster uses to communicate with other nodes.

I choose my mail sever when I configured Rouncube and it was mail.rocky.toto.com.

I can receive emails but if I do not modify the mail address under Identity, I can not send.

I remember seeing something about the IP address but I do not remember where and what to do about it.

Michel-André

P.S.
Before connecting to Roundcube, I created the TXT DNS records: SFT, DKIM, DMARK to make sure I will connect without any problem.

1 Like

@davidep they found our easter egg :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Salut @stephdl

Meaning ?

Michel-André

1 Like

:thinking: maybe we need to use api-cli to add mail_domain setting to roundcube, similarly to what we do on ns7 with e-smith… but with a new collar?

2 Likes

on yesterday’s test, login with full e-mail address the identity showed the domain…

3 Likes

We were talking on monday of your issue. The concern is that our ldap accept any domain to login, even empty but you will fail to send an email the smtp will complain

However roundcube is sensible to identity so user@domain.com is not the same user than user@domain.net and the two users will have different settings and addressbooks

With NS7 the domain is forced to the first domain of the server so you have no choice but here we could decide which domain to use

I did a PR but we need time to discuss of it

5 Likes

I went back to my previous snapshot.

After creating a new user “titi” , I confirm, login to Roundcube with full email address (titi@rocky.toto.com) the identity showed the domain name.

If “titi” logout and login again with only “titi” the email address shows again the IP instead of the domain. He logout.

“titi” login again with full email addresse, send an email to an outside user, the outside user receives the email and responds to it.
“titi” receives the response and logout.

“titi” login again with only his user name, the IP addresse shows again with no domain.

He sees the previous message but he cannot send email or response to one.

• Erreur SMTP 501. impossible de définir l’expéditeur “titi@10.5.4.1” (5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax )
  • Error SMTP 501. Impossible to define the sender “titi@10.5.4.1” (5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax )

Michel-André

1 Like