NS7 POP3 connector request

Hi,

You’ll see from my other posts over the past week or so I’ve been attempting to set up NS6 as a home/soho server for gateway, email and file sharing to replace several Virtual Machines that do the job at present. I’ve all but decided to wait for NS7 before proceeding, but have some suggestions for the NS7 POP3 connector as the NS6 POP3 connector appears to be seriously broken !

I work from home and connect to the internet via an ISP that blocks direct mail server connections, which I gather is not unusual. I have several mail domains that are serviced by Fastmail.com in Australia, and various Gmail and Yahoo accounts. One reason for using Fastmail is that they handle multidrop accounts properly, allowing multiple users and preserving the mail headers properly. This currently allows me to use Fetchmail to collect my email from Fastmail and use the headers to sort the mail into the correct mail boxes e.g.

#fetch mail from fastmail account
#multidrop mode :
#  'envelope..' specifies header line to extract intended recipient
#  'localdomains..' identifies accepted domains[s]
#  'is *' passes full address to postfix
poll FastMail
proto pop3
	auth password
	via mail.messagingengine.com
	envelope X-Delivered-to localdomains mydomain.fastmail.fm
	user "mydomain@fastmail.fm"
	pass "mypassword"
	is *
	keep
	ssl

NS6 cannot handle multidrop via POP3, it would be very useful if NS7 possibly could.

To allow NS6 to collect my mail from Fastmail I created sub-folders on Fastmail, rules to separate the various users and the following Fetchmail script to collect the mail in my existing server

#fetch mail from fastmail accounts
#multidrop mode has been replaced by four sub-folders 
#   under the standard INBOX on fastmail
#                        !
#                        --MyFolder
#                        --WifeFolder
#                        --etc
#fetch mail from my Fastmail folder
poll FastMail1
	proto pop3
	user "myname+Inbox.MyFolder@fastmail.fm"
	pass "mypassword"
	is me
	keep
	ssl
#fetch mail from wife's Fastmail folder
poll FastMail2
	proto pop3
	user "myname+Inbox.Wife@fastmail.fm"
	pass "mypassword"
	is wife
	keep
	ssl
#fetch mail from business Fastmail folder
poll FastMail3
	proto pop3
	user "myname+Inbox.Business@fastmail.fm"
	pass "mypassword"
	is business
	keep
	ssl
#fetch mail from father's Fastmail folder
poll FastMail4
	proto pop3
	user "myname+Inbox.Father@fastmail.fm"
	pass "mypassword"
	is father
	keep
	ssl

Fastmail conveniently also allows POP3 access to sub-folders. This works just fine with Fetchmail in my existing mail server.

Entering this information into NS6, along with my Gmail and Yahoo details, 11 mail accounts in total, results in a complete mess when NS6 uses Fetchmail to collect the mail, multiple account accesses, authorisation failures and other errors. In addition the enable/disable in the POP3 setup appears not to work.

Hopefully NS7 will address this better than NS6 and allow me to replace my currently working, but command line intensive, setup with a nice GUI based email server that will run using POP3 collection from multiple accounts and send via a smarthost, which incidently works fine in NS6.

Regards
PaulM

2 Likes