NS 7.6 and Mysql

Having the need of a server with Mysql integrated in ad, I installed on NS 7.6 rh-mysql57 from CentoOS, the file system without nethserver-samba-audit and the basic-firewall.
Everything seems to work, even the service.
Can I put it into production?
Does anyone have feedback?

Hi @Andrea_Gusparo. Welcome to the NethServer community!
Instead of manualy installing rh-mysql57 from CentOS, you could (should) have opted for the NethServer MariaDB module. MariaDB is a 100% mysql compatible database environment. Currently the version of MariaDB shipped with NethServer is 5.5.60

1 Like

AFAIK, MySQL license tells something like if you’re making money on MySQL you should pay a commercial license/subscription.
https://www.mysql.com/it/products/

MariaDB, instead, as stated by the project…

Therefore, no commercial license required even on production or rented services.
This is only my knowledge, i am not a lawer or an licensing consultant.

2 Likes

I have NS MariaDB servers for php web applications, but the management system that I use, specifically requires MySql.
Mysql is currently running on Debian, but I need Samba and users from AD. So having 5 NS servers I wanted to standardize everything.
I just wanted to know if anyone works in this configuration.
Thank you

I would just like to know if it is stable during updates and to know what are the components that may require MariaDB (es. nethserver-samba-audit ), to avoid loading them.
Thank you

There are different Updates, Upstream Updates tested by CentOS and “own” Updates tested by quality team and the community. After some people have tested it, the Update is rolled out to the “Community Version” of Nethserver. With a Subscription you can get the Updates from a stable repository, ca. one week after it was rolled out to community version. But things like Mysql, installed manually are not tested, so you can’t say if it would run with next updates.
I would recommend to install nethserver as virtual machine, do a copy before updating and try the update with the copy.

@dev_team Can somebody help with this question

@Andrea_Gusparo
I can’t guarantee it but I am quite confident that any application that runs on MariaDB on NethServer can run on mysql too. @giacomo do you have any insights on this?

The suggestion made by @m.traeumner would be the way to go: Install NethServer as a VM and before any major updates or changes to the VM, create a snapshot so you can revert back quickly.

There are several options to use as hypervisor. When you search our forums you will find examples for Proxmox, HyperV and Esx-i and several non baremetal hypervisors like VMWare workstation or Virtualbox.

Please do ask if you have any further questions.

I don’t think so: MariaDB and Mysql are not fully compatible. Please see the official doc.

@Andrea_Gusparo I’m not sure to fully understand what you are trying to achieve.
But you shouldn’t replace the main MariaDB instance used by many applications like Nextcloud, Samb Audit and so on.
If you require MySQL 56, use SCL (as you already did) but configure MySQL to listen to another port (eg. 13306).
This will guarantee no conflict with future updates.

3 Likes

@giacomo

AFAIK, MariaDB IS compatible with MySQL, more compatible than much other stuff.
API compatible
Binary Compatible
File Storage compatible (Stop Mysql, install mariaDB, and copy in the contents of Mysql when MariaDB is stopped, it’ll work!
and much more.
The binarys are even named as in mysql!

From their Webpage (having problems right now!)
MySQL 5.5 is compatible with MariaDB 5.5 and also in practice with MariaDB 10.0, MySQL 5.6 is compatible with MariaDB 10.0 and MySQL 5.7 is compatible with MariaDB 10.2). What this means is that: Data and table definition files (.frm) files are binary compatible …

Wikipedia:
MariaDB is a community-developed, commercially supported fork of the MySQL relational database management system (RDBMS), intended to remain free and open-source software under the GNU General Public License. Development is led by some of the original developers of MySQL, who forked it due to concerns over its acquisition by Oracle Corporation.

The Background:
MySQL AB (The company behind MySQL) was taken over by SUN, which itself was taken over by Oracle.
Oracle makes Databases, so does MySQL. But MySQL is much faster than Oracle, even though it does not have oracle’s replicating capability, the two products were competing in the same house.
Oracle limited productive features in MySQL, which caused the Fork.
The lead developer, and creator of MySQL quit with the whole team (As with OpenOffice, also with Oracle previously, also from SUN) and created MariaDB.
So legally, MariaDB may be a fork, but actually MariaDB IS the new MySQL and not crippled in development, by the same guy who created MySQL in the first place…

So far, ALL Applications tested requiring MySQL have worked without problems in MariaDB!

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Just fyi @Andrea_Gusparo , I did two modules available in my repository for mariadb scl

1 Like