Not receiving certain admin e-mails

NethServer Version: 7.6

It seems like when I upgraded to 7.6 I have not receiving backup e-mails, cron job e-mails, etc… Basically all the e-mails that used to go to root I have not been receiving, I do get fail2ban e-mails and I have not changed anything am I missing something? I tried searching on line and I have not seen anything regarding the issue.

The last of the admin e-mail aside from fail2ban was 1/6/19 for cron daemon.

You could check the following.
Login as root at the servermanager and click at root@YourFQDN at the upper right corner and select Profile. By external email address has to be your mail address where the root mail should be redirected to.

These are sent to root, regardless of the setting that @m.traeumner pointed out.

Cheers.

Right I’m just curious why the emails aren’t being generated except for fail2ban.

Any thoughts?

Please check /var/log/maillog to see if there are errors when the system is sending mails.

I didn’t recall see anything, but I will double check now. Also I am not having the e-mails redirected they are just go to the default root box.

For sending root mails to another recipient see Not receiving certain admin e-mails

I didn’t want to send them to another recipient, but the last e-mail was a cronjob alert at 5:06am on 1/6 and nothing after that aside from the fail2ban e-mails.

You may try to send a test mail to root and check if it works:

echo 'Testmail' | mail -sTest root@yourdomain.tld

Is crond running?

systemctl status crond -l

Yes, crond is running because backups and stuff are being done and the test mail command worked just fine.

Are there no sent mail entries in /var/log/maillog? What about the testmail? Does the log show the other mails before 1/6/19?

I see log entries for root@ but then there is a gap from the 6 to the 13th then I continue to see those, but those are fail2ban e-mails. No cron e-mails, backup reports, etc…

When I said I didn’t recall seeing anything I meant I didn’t see any errors.

I assume you already tried reboot or restarting services.

Just to compare, my /etc/crontab:

[root@testserver ~]# cat  /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root

# For details see man 4 crontabs

# Example of job definition:
# .---------------- minute (0 - 59)
# |  .------------- hour (0 - 23)
# |  |  .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
# |  |  |  .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ...
# |  |  |  |  .---- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or 7) OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat
# |  |  |  |  |
# *  *  *  *  * user-name  command to be executed

Check backup config:

config show backup-data

There should be a line:

NotifyTo=root@localhost

Yes I have restarted the services, rebooted the server, applied all the updates. I did confirm that the entry exists in backup config.

And /etc/crontab has MAILTO=root?

Yes it does, I haven’t changed any configs.

Does /var/log/cron show some relevant errors?

Negative that log seems fine, no errors what so ever.

Are there cron jobs listed that would normally send mails? Or are there no cron jobs since 1/6/19?