No matter how I upgrade Nextcloud breaks

NethServer Version: 7.7.1908
Module: Nextcloud (currently 16.0.5)

I had been having disk space issues for a very long time and couldnt upgrade my Nethserver. I finally got my disk space issues worked out and have a fully working Nethserver and Nextcloud at the versions above. Nothing is broken or wonky to my knowledge… it is just very behind on updates. It is running on a virtual machine that I can snapshot, but I’ve tried every way I can find to upgrade and no matter how I do it, I wind up with a broken Nextcloud instance.

The very first thing I tried was just doing updates from the Software Center. Tons of packages out of date, I just let it do its thing. After that… Nextcloud is broken… I don’t even get around to the actual Nethserver version updates. But I said what the heck… maybe upgrading through 7.8 and to 7.9 maybe it will fix it. Nope… at every stage Nextcloud is broken.

Oddly enough, right after the package updates, Nextcloud is broken and is a plain text page, not the usual colorful Nextcloud splash. But if I continue through 7.8 and then also do 7.9, I end up with the Nextcloud splash saying that it is broken. I’m sorry, but I’d have to go all the way through the updgrade process again to get the exact error.

What am I doing wrong? How am I supposed to upgrade to keep a functional Nextcloud? I know I’m not supposed to use the built in Nextcloud updater so haven’t even tried that.

Hi, welcome to nethserver.
Sorry, I’m on the move so for now will give you a quick summary of the problem.

Nextcloud doesn’t like upgrades skipping major versions. You are supposed to go through at least all the latest major versions till you reach the current one.

That is you have to ipgrade to 17.x, then 18.x, then 19.x and finally to 20.x

On Nethserver this is done installing the rpm packages (if available on repos, we nay have to search on old repos).

There’s also a more direct upgrade path which appears to work but we consider experimental.
You have more details in our wiki.

Isnt that what I’m doing when I use the software center? I’m still on nethserver 7.7.1908 and then go into the software center, isn’t that list of updates just the rpms for that version of nethserver?, then when I upgrade to 7.8, the RPM’s listed are for that version and so on? or am I misunderstanding something?

I think I found the specific article that you mentioned, but either I did something wrong or the commands did not work. I did the downgrade, but it still looks like yum jumped too far in one step and borked it again. I’m reverting the snapshot again to start over, but here is what I did. Can anyone see why it still jumped to 1.9 instead of 1.8-5 like I specified? Sorry I’m not up on yum. I run debian and ubuntu and much more familiar with apt.

[username@webmail ~]$ sudo su
[sudo] password for username: 
[root@webmail username]# grep "'version'" /usr/share/nextcloud/config/config.php
  'version' => '16.0.5.1',
[root@webmail username]# yum --showduplicates list *nextcloud
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, nethserver_events
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * epel: ewr.edge.kernel.org
Installed Packages
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.7.1-1.ns7                                               @nethserver-updates
nextcloud.noarch                                                         16.0.5-1.ns7                                              @nethserver-updates
Available Packages
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.7.0-1.ns7                                               nethserver-base    
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.7.1-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.8.0-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.8.1-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.8.2-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.8.3-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.8.4-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.8.5-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.9.0-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.9.1-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nethserver-nextcloud.noarch                                              1.9.2-1.ns7                                               nethserver-updates 
nextcloud.noarch                                                         16.0.4-1.el7                                              nethserver-base    
nextcloud.noarch                                                         16.0.5-1.ns7                                              nethserver-updates 
nextcloud.noarch                                                         17.0.1-1.el7                                              nethserver-updates 
nextcloud.noarch                                                         17.0.2-1.el7                                              nethserver-updates 
nextcloud.noarch                                                         18.0.0-1.el7                                              nethserver-updates 
[root@webmail username]# yum downgrade nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.5-1.ns7 nextcloud-17.0.2-1.el7
 * epel: mirror.atl.genesisadaptive.com
Only Upgrade available on package: nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.5-1.ns7.noarch
Only Upgrade available on package: nextcloud-17.0.2-1.el7.noarch
Nothing to do
[root@webmail username]# yum update nethserver-nextcloud nextcloud
 * epel: mirror.atl.genesisadaptive.com
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.7.1-1.ns7 will be updated
---> Package nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.9.2-1.ns7 will be obsoleting
--> Processing Dependency: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm >= 1.1.0 for package: nethserver-nextcloud-1.9.2-1.ns7.noarch
---> Package nextcloud.noarch 0:16.0.5-1.ns7 will be obsoleted
---> Package nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm.noarch 0:1.0.0-1.ns7 will be updated
---> Package nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm.noarch 0:1.1.1-1.ns7 will be an update
--> Processing Dependency: sclo-php72-php-tidy for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-soap for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-pgsql for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-enchant for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-bcmath for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
---> Package rh-php72-php-bcmath.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7 will be installed
---> Package rh-php72-php-enchant.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libenchant.so.1()(64bit) for package: rh-php72-php-enchant-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64
---> Package rh-php72-php-pgsql.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7 will be installed
---> Package rh-php72-php-soap.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7 will be installed
---> Package sclo-php72-php-tidy.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7 will be installed
---> Package enchant.x86_64 1:1.6.0-8.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libhunspell-1.3.so.0()(64bit) for package: 1:enchant-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64
---> Package hunspell.x86_64 0:1.3.2-15.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: hunspell-en-US for package: hunspell-1.3.2-15.el7.x86_64
---> Package hunspell-en-US.noarch 0:0.20121024-6.el7 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

======================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                       Arch                     Version                            Repository                            Size
======================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 nethserver-nextcloud                          noarch                   1.9.2-1.ns7                        nethserver-updates                    76 M
     replacing  nextcloud.noarch 16.0.5-1.ns7
Installing for dependencies:
 enchant                                       x86_64                   1:1.6.0-8.el7                      ce-base                               55 k
 hunspell                                      x86_64                   1.3.2-15.el7                       ce-base                              223 k
 hunspell-en-US                                noarch                   0.20121024-6.el7                   ce-base                              190 k
 rh-php72-php-bcmath                           x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                            60 k
 rh-php72-php-enchant                          x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                            45 k
 rh-php72-php-pgsql                            x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                            95 k
 rh-php72-php-soap                             x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                           155 k
 sclo-php72-php-tidy                           x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-sclo                         140 k
Updating for dependencies:
 nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm                   noarch                   1.1.1-1.ns7                        nethserver-updates                   6.6 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package  (+8 Dependent packages)
Upgrade             ( 1 Dependent package)

Total size: 77 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
Running transaction check
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Installing : hunspell-en-US-0.20121024-6.el7.noarch                                                                                            1/13 
  Installing : hunspell-1.3.2-15.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      2/13 
  Installing : 1:enchant-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      3/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-enchant-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                          4/13 
  Installing : sclo-php72-php-tidy-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                           5/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-soap-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                             6/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-pgsql-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                            7/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-bcmath-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                           8/13 
  Updating   : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                    9/13 
  Installing : nethserver-nextcloud-1.9.2-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                          10/13 
  Cleanup    : nethserver-nextcloud-1.7.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                          11/13 
  Cleanup    : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                   12/13 
  Erasing    : nextcloud-16.0.5-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                    13/13 
warning: /etc/httpd/conf.d/nextcloud.conf saved as /etc/httpd/conf.d/nextcloud.conf.rpmsave
  Verifying  : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                    1/13 
  Verifying  : 1:enchant-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      2/13 
  Verifying  : hunspell-1.3.2-15.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      3/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-bcmath-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                           4/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-pgsql-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                            5/13 
  Verifying  : hunspell-en-US-0.20121024-6.el7.noarch                                                                                            6/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-soap-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                             7/13 
  Verifying  : nethserver-nextcloud-1.9.2-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                           8/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-enchant-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                          9/13 
  Verifying  : sclo-php72-php-tidy-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                          10/13 
  Verifying  : nethserver-nextcloud-1.7.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                          11/13 
  Verifying  : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                   12/13 
  Verifying  : nextcloud-16.0.5-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                    13/13 

Installed:
  nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.9.2-1.ns7                                                                                                           

Dependency Installed:
  enchant.x86_64 1:1.6.0-8.el7                     hunspell.x86_64 0:1.3.2-15.el7                    hunspell-en-US.noarch 0:0.20121024-6.el7       
  rh-php72-php-bcmath.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7        rh-php72-php-enchant.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7        rh-php72-php-pgsql.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7       
  rh-php72-php-soap.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7          sclo-php72-php-tidy.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7        

Dependency Updated:
  nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm.noarch 0:1.1.1-1.ns7                                                                                                    

Replaced:
  nextcloud.noarch 0:16.0.5-1.ns7                                                                                                                     

Complete!

Also, since I got it to this point again, here is the exact error that it throws after the borked update.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

You have:

yum downgrade is to downgrade to an older version of an rpm package. In your case the package version is newer so it would rather be an update.

When running yum update without specifying the package version it installs the latest one available.

Nextcloud version is not inferred from the package version (which often are different).
The relation of nextcloud version and rpm packages can be found in the changelog (or with yum changelog command if yum-plugin-changelog is installed).

EDIT:
Your nextcloud upgrade path could be:
nethserver-nextcloud 1.8.4-1 (Nextcloud 17.0.2)
nethserver-nextcloud 1.10.1-1 (Nextcloud 18.0.4)
nethserver-nextcloud 1.14.2-1 (Nextcloud 19.0.3)
nethserver-nextcloud 1.16.5-1 (Nextcloud 20.0.7)

For instance (check nextcloud is working after each step):

# update to nextcloud 17.0.2
yum update nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7

# update to nextcloud 18.0.4
yum install http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7.8.2003/updates/x86_64/Packages/nethserver-nextcloud-1.10.1-1.ns7.noarch.rpm

#update to nextcloud 19.0.3
yum install http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7.8.2003/updates/x86_64/Packages/nethserver-nextcloud-1.14.2-1.ns7.noarch.rpm

Then the normal upgrade procedure shall work fine, or follow example from a similar case: Problem updating NethServer 7.7.1908 - #4 by dnutan

Nethserver upgrade can take a long time. Better to run it on a screen, tmux session or similar.

# Upgrades across multiple NethServer versions is not a tested procedure.
yum install -y http://mirror.nethserver.org/nethserver/nethserver-release-7.rpm
signal-event software-repos-save
yum update

From Nextcloud amdin panel you will be informed if it is recommended to issue some other occ command to update the database. E.g.
sudo -u apache scl enable rh-php73 -- php -dmemory_limit=512M /usr/share/nextcloud/occ db:add-missing-columns

1 Like

Borked install even with just your very first command. It STILL jumped to newest version. Explicitly installed 1.8.4, but it downloaded and installed 1.9.2 so what am I doing wrong?

[root@webmail username]# yum update nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7
Determining fastest mirrors
epel/x86_64/metalink                                                                                                           |  12 kB  00:00:00     
 * epel: packages.oit.ncsu.edu
ce-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                     |  811 B  00:00:00     
ce-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                     | 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
ce-extras/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   |  811 B  00:00:00     
ce-extras/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
ce-sclo-rh                                                                                                                     | 3.0 kB  00:00:00     
ce-sclo-sclo                                                                                                                   | 3.0 kB  00:00:00     
ce-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                  |  811 B  00:00:00     
ce-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                  | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
epel                                                                                                                           | 4.7 kB  00:00:00     
nethforge/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   |  836 B  00:00:00     
nethforge/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   | 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
nethserver-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                             |  836 B  00:00:00     
nethserver-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                             | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
nethserver-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                          |  836 B  00:00:00     
nethserver-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                          | 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
(1/2): epel/x86_64/updateinfo                                                                                                  | 1.0 MB  00:00:00     
(2/2): epel/x86_64/primary_db                                                                                                  | 6.9 MB  00:00:00     
Resolving Dependencies
---> Package nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.8.4-1.ns7 will be an update
--> Processing Dependency: nextcloud >= 17.0.2 for package: nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm >= 1.1.0 for package: nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: sclo-php72-php-tidy for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-soap for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-pgsql for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-enchant for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: rh-php72-php-bcmath for package: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: libenchant.so.1()(64bit) for package: rh-php72-php-enchant-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libhunspell-1.3.so.0()(64bit) for package: 1:enchant-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: hunspell-en-US for package: hunspell-1.3.2-15.el7.x86_64

Dependencies Resolved

Package                                       Arch                     Version                            Repository                            Size
Installing:
 nethserver-nextcloud                          noarch                   1.9.2-1.ns7                        nethserver-updates                    76 M
     replacing  nextcloud.noarch 16.0.5-1.ns7
 enchant                                       x86_64                   1:1.6.0-8.el7                      ce-base                               55 k
 hunspell                                      x86_64                   1.3.2-15.el7                       ce-base                              223 k
 hunspell-en-US                                noarch                   0.20121024-6.el7                   ce-base                              190 k
 rh-php72-php-bcmath                           x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                            60 k
 rh-php72-php-enchant                          x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                            45 k
 rh-php72-php-pgsql                            x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                            95 k
 rh-php72-php-soap                             x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-rh                           155 k
 sclo-php72-php-tidy                           x86_64                   7.2.24-1.el7                       ce-sclo-sclo                         140 k
 nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm                   noarch                   1.1.1-1.ns7                        nethserver-updates                   6.6 k

Transaction Summary

Total size: 77 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
Running transaction check
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Installing : hunspell-en-US-0.20121024-6.el7.noarch                                                                                            1/13 
  Installing : hunspell-1.3.2-15.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      2/13 
  Installing : 1:enchant-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      3/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-enchant-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                          4/13 
  Installing : sclo-php72-php-tidy-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                           5/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-soap-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                             6/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-pgsql-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                            7/13 
  Installing : rh-php72-php-bcmath-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                           8/13 
  Updating   : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                    9/13 
  Installing : nethserver-nextcloud-1.9.2-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                          10/13 
  Cleanup    : nethserver-nextcloud-1.7.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                          11/13 
  Cleanup    : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                   12/13 
  Erasing    : nextcloud-16.0.5-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                    13/13 
warning: /etc/httpd/conf.d/nextcloud.conf saved as /etc/httpd/conf.d/nextcloud.conf.rpmsave
  Verifying  : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.1.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                    1/13 
  Verifying  : 1:enchant-1.6.0-8.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      2/13 
  Verifying  : hunspell-1.3.2-15.el7.x86_64                                                                                                      3/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-bcmath-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                           4/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-pgsql-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                            5/13 
  Verifying  : hunspell-en-US-0.20121024-6.el7.noarch                                                                                            6/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-soap-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                             7/13 
  Verifying  : nethserver-nextcloud-1.9.2-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                           8/13 
  Verifying  : rh-php72-php-enchant-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                          9/13 
  Verifying  : sclo-php72-php-tidy-7.2.24-1.el7.x86_64                                                                                          10/13 
  Verifying  : nethserver-nextcloud-1.7.1-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                          11/13 
  Verifying  : nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                   12/13 
  Verifying  : nextcloud-16.0.5-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                    13/13 

Installed:
  nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.9.2-1.ns7                                                                                                           

Dependency Installed:
  enchant.x86_64 1:1.6.0-8.el7                     hunspell.x86_64 0:1.3.2-15.el7                    hunspell-en-US.noarch 0:0.20121024-6.el7       
  rh-php72-php-bcmath.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7        rh-php72-php-enchant.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7        rh-php72-php-pgsql.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7       
  rh-php72-php-soap.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7          sclo-php72-php-tidy.x86_64 0:7.2.24-1.el7        

Dependency Updated:
  nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm.noarch 0:1.1.1-1.ns7                                                                                                    

Replaced:
  nextcloud.noarch 0:16.0.5-1.ns7                                                                                                                     

Complete!

OK. Bonkers. Then, for the first step you might follow the following procedure

yum --setopt=obsoletes=0 update nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7

or the one described by @pagaille:

1 Like

Still the same. I cancelled out of it this time and didn’t actually do the install because it still reports that it was going to be installing 1.9.2. I know with apt, I can download an update only and then double run a dpkg command to install it manually. Is there an option like that? Would that work here?

[root@webmail username]# yum --setopt=obsoletes=0 update nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7
Determining fastest mirrors
epel/x86_64/metalink                                                                                                           |  13 kB  00:00:00     
 * epel: mirror.coastal.edu
ce-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                     |  811 B  00:00:00     
ce-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                     | 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
ce-extras/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   |  811 B  00:00:00     
ce-extras/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
ce-sclo-rh                                                                                                                     | 3.0 kB  00:00:00     
ce-sclo-sclo                                                                                                                   | 3.0 kB  00:00:00     
ce-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                  |  811 B  00:00:00     
ce-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                  | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
epel                                                                                                                           | 4.7 kB  00:00:00     
nethforge/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   |  836 B  00:00:00     
nethforge/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                                   | 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
nethserver-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                             |  836 B  00:00:00     
nethserver-base/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                             | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
nethserver-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                          |  836 B  00:00:00     
nethserver-updates/7/x86_64/signature                                                                                          | 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!! 
(1/2): epel/x86_64/updateinfo                                                                                                  | 1.0 MB  00:00:00     
(2/2): epel/x86_64/primary_db                                                                                                  | 6.9 MB  00:00:00     
Resolving Dependencies
---> Package nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.8.4-1.ns7 will be an update
--> Processing Dependency: nextcloud >= 17.0.2 for package: nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: nethserver-rh-php72-php-fpm >= 1.1.0 for package: nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7.noarch

Dependencies Resolved

Installing:

Transaction Summary

NextCloud needs to be upgraded… following NextCloud guidelines.
As a rule of thumb, sequence should be

• Major version
  • Latest minor version of the major
  • Next Major version
  • Latest minor version of the Next major
    and so on.

And believe me, won’t be “short and easy”, but should necessitate:

• a thorough read of the release notes of major and latest minor version (example: 16.0.0, then 16.0.11, then 17.0.0, than 17.0.10, than 18.0.0, than 18.0.14, and so on)
  • compile an upgrade list with all the steps necessary considering required companion packages. Don’t forget the subsequent “in place upgrade” requested by NextCloud and of other software impacted by the upgrade.
  • for every upgrade/update, compare a test list for different kind of users and related extensions/addons
  • icing the cake: backup before upgrade version, before update components and before deep editing settings for solving issues
  • then rule the march… taking advantage of the schedule because server should not need supervisors during update of packages or backup

For someone like planning a war, IMVHO is a quite long chess match, with the wisdom to know that something could go wrong and having backups could ease a lot of issues, creating small problems with a long time solving slice (restore) instead of big and multi layered issues due to conversion/upgrade of DB structure and so on.

During the multi-step upgrade process you will be able to dodge some of the steps, thanks to experience you’re gaining and the issues already solved by other people into NextCloud and NethServer community…

It is best to keep your Nextcloud server upgraded regularly, and to install all point releases and major releases. Major releases are 18, 19 or 20. Point releases are intermediate releases for each major release. For example 18.0.4 and 19.0.2 are point releases.

Nextcloud must be upgraded step by step:

• Before you can upgrade to the next major release, Nextcloud upgrades to the latest point release.
  • Then run the upgrade again to upgrade to the next major release’s latest point release.
  • You cannot skip major releases. Please re-run the upgrade until you have reached the highest available (or applicable) release.
  • Example: 18.0.5 → 18.0.11 → 19.0.5 → 20.0.2
1 Like

@dnutan you’re right, i practically re-wrote quite the same things you suggested

1 Like

Just a copy/paste from the nextcloud manual. Many time have passed since I read it that I end forgetting what is right. :slightly_smiling_face:

If it is not keep up to date the upgrade experience can be a little bit frustrating for the users.

Interesting to note that NethServer might not package every single Nextcloud point release version, so the latest package available is not always the latest major point Nextcloud release. But practically this shall be no issue.

Not the most beautiful way to do it but this could work to circumvent the first step issue:

yum install http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7.7.1908/updates/x86_64/Packages/{nethserver-nextcloud-1.8.4-1.ns7,nextcloud-17.0.2-1.el7}.noarch.rpm
2 Likes

Not only did that command get me past the first step, it got it to a point that the normal upgrade process could do each additional step without help. I ran the yum command, it upgraded and did not break, then the normal package update to get netserver 7.7 upgraded completed with no breakage. Then 7.8 completed. I had to run the nextcloud login page upgrade prompt at that step. But then 7.9 completed without any breakage and that one brought nextcloud up to current 20.0.7.

Thank you all for sticking with me!

3 Likes

Update your backups, dude :wink:

I use a vmware backup utility and back it up at the vm level. My problem for the longest time is that my disk was full and I just didn’t have time to shuffle everything around and redo the volumes. I finally just added a second, larger virtual disk file and booted the thing on to an ubuntu live cd and copied the entire var folder to the newer volume and then edited fstab to mount the new volume on /var. Once I finally got that done, I had the space to get it to do upgrades, but it had been so long the automated process couldn’t do it.

Hello to everybody.

I see that this all this manual fiddling with nextcloud upgrades is missing the point that a panel like Nethserver should ease up things for admins and not complicate them. This upgrade hell is defeating the very purpose of running nextcloud against a panel software.

I personally have a 2 year old install which I tried recently to upgrade and immediately became unusable, so I had to revert to the backup I made 5 minutes before trying the upgrade. Of course I am not going to play with it anymore with real users in production! This does not look like a product is ready for prime-time.

I think the key point is that packages should themselves force an upgrade path, e.g.: version A.7 is prerequisite for B.1 and you cannot install C.1 without B.5 and so on. Also, if some CLI command is necessary in-between versions, it should be provided by the package itself automatically.

Allowing a downgrades is way less important than allowing a safe upgrade path, which, at the moment, does not exist, unless an admin cares for his install every month. This might be feasible in small environments but not in the real world, where things to account for and manage are usually hundreds or thousands.

Hi @jaegermeister

1. You’re hijacking a 2+ years old post marked as solved. As such most people won’t even look at this post…

2. As everyone knows, Microsoft updates its stuff monthly… So most / all bigger outfits have regular updates in place - for workstations and servers…

This is absolutly unprofessional, and in certain countries it’s considered crininal behaviour to be using software on the Internet and not keeping them current!

If you’re too lazy to work professionally in IT, maybe try pen and paper instead. There, updates like refilling a pen may leave an ink mark, nothing worse!

I do maintain 30+ installations (All with NethServer as AD, running in Proxmox) for my clients, and all are within days of being very current!

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi @jaegermeister @alefattorini

I would like to apologize for my temper at the moment…
I’m in the process of settling in after moving a few weeks ago, and somethings are delayed unneeded…

But I need not let my temper here in the community, I need to keep this in check.
Mostly it flares when someone hijacks an age old - marked as solved - issue…

But this is an excuse, not really a reason.
I’ll try to keep up to my own standards.

My sincere apologies offered…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like