Nextcloud12 has arrived

Nextcloud has announced on their blog that NC12 has arrived: Welcome to Nextcloud 12! - Nextcloud

What options do we have to implement it in NS?

From the nextcloud 12 admin manual:

System Requirements
Memory

Memory requirements for running an Nextcloud server are greatly variable, depending on the numbers of users and files, and volume of server activity. Nextcloud needs a minimum of 128MB RAM, and we recommend a minimum of 512MB.
Recommended Setup for Running Nextcloud

For best performance, stability, support, and full functionality we recommend:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
MySQL/MariaDB
PHP 7.0 +
Apache 2.4 with mod_php

Php7 is preferred. Can we make this happen on NS7?
There is a repo for php7 available: PHP 7.0 on CentOS/RHEL 6.9 and 7.4 via Yum – Webtatic.com
Any risks of breaking any NS specific packages by using this?

Short answer…you will break your system with a php upgrade.

Software collection is the way

Thnx @stephdl for the quick response. Good to know we have a reaonably safe option to install nextcloud 12.
The reason I am pushing this is that IMO we can not afford to stay on an old version of nextcloud (currently NC 10 is default for NethServer) and see that options and possibilities are passing us left and right.
If we want to be able to be a viable alternative to, for example G-Suite and Office365, dropbox etc, we need the latest version of (in this case) Nextcloud available, preferably with LibrOffice Online/Collabora Online integration. Or as @ghost mentioned in So, what are you working on? - 22 May 17 : OnlyOffice
Especially if we want to push NethServer forward in office and educational environments I think this is important.

We already have an unofficial build:

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install netxtcloud
signal-event nethserver-nextcloud-update

Yes using SCL but it’s not needed.

Everything as said by Stephane :wink:

Also check this discussion:

1 Like

Great job @giacomo your attempts to work together with the upstream project are really appreciated :wink:

Nextcloud 12 landed to NS!

Check this out @quality_team:

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:
Tomorrow I would have a free slot If anyone will pick it up.

If I wanted to install NC11 on NethServer7, would adding the testing repo, installing php-scl and a simple ‘yum install nethserver-nextcloud’ do the trick?

The package will do everything for you (this command is good also for updating):

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nethserver-nextcloud

It’s using php5.6. Why didn’t you choose to use php7 (through php-scl)?

First glance:
After install I was prompted at an upgrade window to nextcloud12 and if I pressed the button, the upgrade would start.

After a few seconds I got the message: update failed:

It points to a post on nextcloud forums: https://help.nextcloud.com/t/updates-between-multiple-major-versions-are-unsupported/7094

I wonder why I get this message, since this is supposed to be a new install of nextcloud and not an upgrade?

Because 5.6 is already supported and the core configuration is already working.
Switching to PHP 7 requires double work.

You shouldn’t, I will try to reproduce it.

Sorry, but I can’t reproduce your problem, nor on a clean machine nor on an upgraded machine (tested both with local AD and LDAP).

Interesting, the auto background update, or maybe I don’t remember that changing, but it used to be you had to actually go to the nextcloud gui page and manually start the update, but not anymore. Clean upgrade according to the /var/messages.

1 Like

I installed nextcloud 12 using the software center but I’m unable to gain admin access to it. What username and password should I be using to gain admin access?

Try with:

admin
Nethesis,1234

changing the password ASAP

1 Like

That worked! Thanks!