Nextcloud talk not working outside our lan

Hello @support_team, would you be able to assist with how I can resolve these dependencies when installing coturn on my Nethserver? Do I need to enable epel repo? I’d like to use the latest version of coturn. The link provided to me from another Nethserver post references an older version of coturn.

Thank you.

Now coturn package can be found in EPEL repo, so it should be easier to install. Part of the older instructions will no longer apply.

1 Like

Thank you @dnutan for this quick reply. Very much appreciate your support!

If you could assist please with the following specifics to my post:

1. Could you provide for me the command to use epel library on my Nethserver?
  2. Do you know the dependencies I need to install before installing the coturn rpm file or will once epel is installed on my Nethserver the coturn rpm command will automatically download and install the needed dependencies?
  3. It seems that I can’t use Nextcloud Talk on my Nextcloud (hosted on Nethserver). Is it advisable to install coturn on my Nethserver? I typically don’t like installing anything on my Nethserver that isn’t provided in the regular updates.
  4. Or should I install coturn on a separate server instead? And if I do how hard is it to use my Nethserver certificate for my coturn server?

Thank you.

yum install coturn

or if you have epel disabled:

yum --enablerepo=epel install coturn

Dependencies should be resolved without problems.

1 Like

Thanks @dnutan, I’m backing up my Nethserver now before I try the install.

Do you think Nethserver will ever support the install of coturn on Nethserver? For those of us who want to use Talk and can’t get it working without coturn installed?

Thanks.

I don’t know. If requested by many people or someone chips in with developer hand-work…

About question 3 and 4, read these posts were they comment why/when a TURN server could be needed:

Also, would you have any input for me on what might be stopping my Talk from working without Coturn installed?

My friend has Nextcloud installed on his own CentOS 7 server. He does not use Nextcloud in Nethserver. But he is setup similar to my setup in that he has a port forward rule on his router so that outside access to his Nextcloud uses his domains A record to point to his router and be directed to his Nextcloud Talk App. He had issues at first with Talk but found that disabling SELinux solved his problem.

Nethserver doesn’t have SELinux used so looking at his setup and mine I would say we are setup the same…albeit he is not using Nethserver.

I’ve confirmed from my security router that I can access the stun server from my security router - stun.nextcloud.com:443.

Is there a check or command you could suggest to me to confirm if the path for using Nextcloud Talk is working or being blocked somewhere? Could my Nethserver be blocking access for Talk without me realizing it?

Thank you for the comments on adding coturn to nethserver. I wish I was a developer as I would definitely want to help out. Sadly all I can help with is testing.

Here are some tests:
https://webrtc.github.io/samples/src/content/peerconnection/trickle-ice/
https://test.webrtc.org/

1 Like

Thank you @dnutan for these links. Unfortuneately I still can’t get Nextcloud Talk working on my Nethserver.

I’ve installed a brand new Nethserver and I’ve added a new Nextcloud install on my Nethserver. I’ve added my certificates to Nethserver and configured my Nextcloud in our router port forward. Everything resolves correctly. I install Nextcloud Talk and it did not allow me to connect to anyone over Talk that is outside my network. So I then installed coturn (instructions above) and once again I can’t connect to anyone outside my network with Talk.

So for another test I created a CentOS 7 minimal install and installed Nextcloud on it. Configured my certificates and installed Talk app. I did not install coturn or any turn server on this new server.
I configured my router portforward to point to my new Nextcloud server. Immediately my test to call using Talk outside my network works with no issues.

This I think proves to me that somewhere in Nethserver Talk is being blocked. I don’t think we need a turn server installed on Nextcloud to make it work.

Can @support_team suggest anything I can do on my Nethserver to allow Talk to work?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide me.

Hello @support_team or @dnutan , would you be able to assist me in determining what in Nethserver is stopping my Nextcloud Talk from working outside our office?

Any help or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I did not read the whole thread but did you try to stop the firewall do your test and check if a port is simply not restricted to the green network

shorewall clear

To launch again the firewall

shorewall start

1 Like

Alternatively if you need a real webrtc software, you could install jitsy meet on a ubuntu vm, it seems they made a script to ease the installation

1 Like

Thank you @stephdl for your suggestion. I would have preferred to use apps within Nextcloud but I’ve now tested Jitsi Meet and I’m very impressed with how easy it was to setup! I’m curious why Nethserver hasn’t added Jitsi Meet as a local app for people to use? This appears to be an awesome application and would provide a nice video conferencing option for Nethserver users.

1 Like
1 Like

Good point @stephdl. I’ll look at spinning up a jitsi meet server on Ubuntu then on my Proxmox cluster.

it’s really too bad that I can’t get Talk to work on Nethserver. I don’t have firewall enabled on my Nethserver so I can’t figure out why it won’t work? I’ll keep looking into Talk on Nethserver/Nextcloud and hopefully one day figure out the issue. For now I’ll look for another solution in Jitsi Meet.

Thanks!

The right tool makes the right worker.

2 Likes

Firewall is up on any NethServer Instance, even if you have only one green NIC, hopefully :smiley:

1 Like

Hello @stephdl, where in the Nethserver GUI can I adjust firewall settings to open port(s) for Nextcloud Talk? Or even temporarily turn off firewall to see if my Nextcloud works?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Oh boy! Thanks for (re) pointing that out to me! Thanks very much @stephdl :slight_smile: