Nextcloud Talk - Help with rolling this out to all my workstations

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: Nextcloud 20 (latest version)

Hello @support_team,

I’m testing the use of Nextcloud Talk for all my users workstations. Our office is setup as follows:

We have workstations that autologin with a generic userid so these computers are always on and ready to be used by any employee that needs the app on that workstation. These workstations are used by staff as they move between workstations to enter data into our database for the task they are doing. We do not need each employee to login to the workstation with their own ID. But the operator does login to an App on each workstation with their own ID. This allows our employees to quickly go between workstations, sign into the App and get their work completed. These workstations are kind of like dumb terminals in that they have no internet access and are user accounts and have limited access except for the app(s) that are installed on them. All these workstations run Windows 10.

We then have our Admin staff who use domain accounts to login to their Windows 10 desktops. Our Admin staff also login to Nextcloud and use the various apps I’ve provided them (files and folders, external sites).

We have two floors in our building. The generic workstations are downstairs and our Admin staff are upstairs.

I would like to put in place where Nextcloud auto starts and auto logs in for the generic workstations that are always on and logged into. My idea is to have Nextcloud Talk available for each workstation generic userid. I will add Nextcloud Talk to our Admin Staff accounts so that when the Admin staff need to reach out to employees downstairs they can broadcast a message to all our generic workstations. Our generic workstations can also use Nextcloud Talk to send a message to any of our Admin staff upstairs.

My questions are:

1. How do I auto start and auto login to Nextcloud for these generic workstations? I know I can auto start Chrome and have the default start page be my nextcloud. But how do I have Windows auto login to a website so it’s ready for users to use? I see a Chrome auto login extension. Are there better ways to do what I need?

2. I’ve been testing notifications in Nextcloud. It seems hit and miss? I’ve created a group in Talk and added our workstation members. When from my domain account I send a message to this group from my Nextcloud Talk the workstations don’t see my message as a notification on their computer. If they go into Talk they see a number beside the group name to indicate how many messages are there. I would like each workstation to have a popup when a message is broadcast to the group.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Google Chrome can display notifications from websites; Nextcloud has some notification settings on the Activity app: do not recall if they work together (or if they can(not) play along with Windows 10 notifications).

There is an unofficial nextcloud talk desktop app. It is work in progress and surely contributions are welcome.

As aside note, maybe admin stuff would be interested in chat commands

2 Likes