Nextcloud mail app config error

No I don’t.

You should asks the Nextcloud forum since the problem is application specific.

1 Like

Thanks @giacomo for the reply. I’ll open a post at Nextcloud or with the Mail App team.

Thank you.

1 Like

For the record, I tried to configure it again here and I got the same error message. It worked for a minute then stopped. Strange issue.

SOLVED : Just disable the shared mailboxes !

The problem is that nextcloud’s client lists all the folders of the server when connecting. That’s all right but for the Public folder the server answers permission denied. (maybe that’s the root cause @giacomo ?)

Here’s the wireshark decode :

3 Likes

Case opened : https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/1730

3 Likes

It seems strange to me, I tried it with shared mailboxes and it worked …

:thinking:

I tested both on my production machine and on a freshly installed VM.

Do you also get the NOPERM answer when querying the server using the STATUS command ?

# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
. LOGIN matthieu@mydomain.tld password
. STATUS Public (MESSAGES)
. NO [NOPERM] Permission denied (0.001 + 0.000 secs).

The developper of the Mail app answered that the version shipped with NC 15 is outdated (0.11.1). I should try with 0.14 but must update to NC 16 first, which is not available yet on nethserver.

Same with NC16 / Mail 0.14

1 Like

No, I get this:

. STATUS Public (MESSAGES)
* STATUS Public (MESSAGES 0)
. OK Status completed (0.002 + 0.000 + 0.001 secs).

Still from NC 16 I can’t read the content of a message inside a public folder.
But since all other clients are working, this should be a bug on the Mail app itself.

:thinking: how come we don’t have the same behaviour ? After all there isn’t much parameters when creating a shared mailbox ? All my test and production machines behave the same.

Anyway the mail app should probably handle this correctly.

1 Like

That’s a question for @davidep. But we did some experiments on our server and maybe it’s not 100% like a clean machine.

Try to run

/etc/e-smith/events//nethserver-mail-server-update/S98nethserver-mail-server-init-acl --force

See if the STATUS command now succeedes

1 Like

Thanks @davidep

–> . NO [NOPERM] Permission denied (0.001 + 0.000 secs).

Thank you very much @giacomo
This solved my problem
In the “shared mailboxes” I had a folder “Junk” which was created when installing the package nethserver-mail-quarantine
or can it manually

I can not remove “Junk” through the web panel
I deleted “Junk” via ssh console
and it all worked

/ etc / e-smith / events // nethserver-mail-server-update / S98nethserver-mail-server-init-acl --force

This request returns the same answer on both servers

[NOTICE] Initialize ACLs of Public (vmail) IMAP namespace

p.s. when adding a shared mailbox
problem comes back

2 Likes

Hi,

I am not shure, but for my feeling, it has something to do with this here:

→ Maybe the forbidden ACL leads to the same error, however with a larger impact on the nextcloud client. I am more and more convinced that may be solved on the Dovecot level. Maybe it could be worth giving a try to alter devecot ACL.

Best regards
Thorsten

… by the way, I have the same error here, but I can not swith of the shared folders as we use them wildly instead of forewarding single mails. :slight_smile:

Agreed. While some clients are more or less sensitive to the current ACL, even as an user it looks odd to not be able to list the root while the child nodes are.

Is there any solution to configure mail within nextcloud in the mean time?

@mrmarkuz gave me this solution ad it worked for me

doveadm acl set -A Public authenticated lookup read

3 Likes

Hello All,

could someone (@mrmarkuz perhaps) explain what this command will do on my Nethserver:

doveadm acl set -A Public authenticated lookup read

I’m very interested in getting my Nextcloud Mail to work as well. But I’m hesitant to run anything on my Nethserver that is not standard (or done at install or during update). What, if any, are the risks to running this command on my Nethserver…and what would be the command to back out whatever this instruction is doing?

Thank you.

1 Like