Nextcloud external storage SMB CIFS shares not working

Hi Andy, how do you create Samba shares in NS8 to integrate with Nextcloud as external storage?
I have not found a way.

Sincerely, Marko

Hi @capote

I will need to try, possibly tomorrow. I’ll post feedback…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy, did you try it?

Best regards, Marko

Hi @capote

I hope to have time today…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Here it’s working with Alma Linux on Proxmox/Virtualbox, Nextcloud and Samba are on the same Node.
In this case you just need IP, share and username/password:

BTW, I moved the discussion to a new topic.

2 Likes

How did you create the external storages in the NS8 GUI?
I have not found any configuration option.

best regards, Marko

Is the External Storage support app installed and enabled in Nextcloud?

As regards the NS8 UI, at the “Domains and Users” page go to “File Server” to create the shares.

1 Like

That was my first step, but didn’t find any File Server option, only Domain, user, group configuration

When the AD domain is created, “Provide file shares and authentication to Windows clients” needs to be enabled, see File server — NS8 documentation

I found no way to enable it afterwards.

4 Likes

Thank you @mrmarkuz. I misunderstood the info text: “Provide file shares and authentication to Windows clients” as relevant only for windows clients.

It seems that there is no way to enable this option afterwards, which is a major flaw in my eyes.

1 Like

Yes and that’s because it is not possible to change the IP of a DC in a multi DC domain. We could consider to allow it if the domain has just one DC, though. As for now I’d just document how to do it.

A question for this use case: why using external smb shares for NextCloud? Isn’t the internal storage more simple instead?

I’d reword it like

“Provide file shares and authentication to Windows and other SMB clients (e.g. NextCloud)”

4 Likes

When you add external storage, all assets are under the control of the domain administrator. If a user profile needs to be deleted, no data is lost.

I’m not sure to understand what kind of control is wanted.

If removal of user data is wanted, IIUC according to NC docs when a LDAP user is removed their profile is not erased. An additional manual step is required.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_user/user_auth_ldap_cleanup.html

If it is useful we can plan to do it at scheduled time, automatically.

Rather the opposite is aimed at. When a user profile is deleted, its data is to be retained. This is only possible if the user is not the individual owner of the data, but the domain admin. And this is only possible with External Storages.