New install...what's after?

NethServer release 7.8.2003 (final) - Kernel release 3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64 Module: your_module ???

Hi everyone,
I was looking for to set an intranet server to set up a postgres db - at home !!! - and found NS online.
that was 2 hours ago and its already runnign on a mini-pc.
Was quite easy so far… :+1: :+1: Congrat to the Dev Team !

So…
I’m logged in and now I guess I need to complete the server install correctly…

• Is there some video ?
  • or should I read the some tuto or some doc to complete the server config. myself, how can I make sure it is safely connected.

Any suggestions, welcomed !
Thanks anyone,
Terii,
Tahiti, F.P.

Screenshot_20201016_185114

@neterii

Hi Eric

and Welcome to the NethServer community!

After completing the install on the Web-GUI (Dashboard, with Port 980, or Cockpit with Port 9090), I’d suggest only using the newer Cockpit (Port 9090). The old Dashboard is still there, and has use for a few things still.

Have a look in Software Center and add in what you need.

I’d suggest using the Account Provider and add in an AD Provider. This needs it’s own, free IP. I personally always use the IP 11 (at the end) for this, my NethServer uses the IP 20. (I have another box as Firewall, it’s running OPNsense). NethServer can also be a fine firewall, this needs 2 NICs.

I’m running myself a NethServer at home, and I use the following:

• German language
  • Print (CUPS)
  • FileServer (Samba)
  • NextCloud
  • Backup
  • Email
  • Fail2ban
  • Roundcube Webmail
  • POP3 Connector
  • Reverse Proxy
  • SNMP
  • Statistics
  • Web Hosting
  • Web Proxy (Squid)

After this, you might want to add in more, like a PostgreSQL, than have a look here:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=modules

Here I’d suggest Zabbix, for Monitoring, PHPpgadmin, Guacamole, ad others.

And don’t forget, the ONLY stupid questions are the ones not asked!

Enjoy your Nethserver!

PS: NethServer is pretty secure “Out of the Box”! (You don’t NEED to fiddle around with the firewall, until you’re ready to open up services for external access)

My 2 cents
Andy

4 Likes

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your time and the great tips, I’ll sure make some good use of it ! :slight_smile:

have a nice “Fin de semaine” :slight_smile:

@neterii

Hi Eric

Are you running your NethServer virtualized or native install?

For long term usage, and headache free, it’s strongly suggested nowadays that servers are installed virtualized. This gives you several advantages:

• Backups of the whole system, live (I’d still do NethServer backups!)
  • Snapshots before critical updates
  • Clustering and Fast Migration
  • Proxmox for example is completly free, and installed in 20 Minutes!
  • And much more!

See this for a few ideas:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=userguide:nethserver_and_proxmox

Are you a french speaker? And from where, if I may ask? :slight_smile:

Mes deux centimes
Andy

mm…I installed NT over Linux directly, so not virtualized. It runs on a Celeron mini-pc so I’m not sure VM would be possible or give good performance…so promox would be right tool for VM ?..i only have 8GRam on this one.

yes, French native from South Pacific islands. -10 UTC

Hi

8 GB RAM is workable, but a bit on the low end…

I still suggest: try it out! Proxmox takes ca. 20-30 minutes, then NethServer another 20-30 inside Proxmox…

My home server is running on a 9 years old HP Proliant ML110 G6 Server with 16 GB RAM (Proxmox), but I’ll be upgrading in the next two months…

I also am running Home Assistant on a VM.

Swiss, but half of chinese decent (mothers side). As swiss, I do also speak & read/write passable french, but my langue maternelle is actually english, german as a second language, and french as third…

BTW A lot of the guys here actually also use Proxmox underneath… :slight_smile:

Mes deux centimes
Andy