New HDD migrate NETHSERVER

Hello. I have the following problem:

My HDD is to small /root is full for 97% only 35MB left.

So i get a bigger HDD. i tryd Clonzilla. No luck. I tryd dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sda

In both casses the new HDD wil boot, but NETHSERVER wil end in a error of HDD controle.

What can i do?

(sorry for the bad Englich)

You should try with backup and restore, is the safest and simplest way to do it.

Otherwise you could try some magic with rsync, maybe @Stll0, @alefattorini or @nrauso have some doc about it.

is it posible to make the backup from comandline ? The webinterface is not working annymore

Yes, you can execute:
backup-data

To avoid more failures I suggest removing some files before the backup

then it will make a backup to the USB or at its own HDD ?

to the device already configured, see

config show backup-data

and

config show backup-config

I get this output:

[root@linux-server backup]# config show backup-data
backup-data=configuration
BackupTime=17:35
CleanupOlderThan=364D
FullDay=2
LogFile=/var/log/last-backup.log
Mount=/mnt/backup
NFSHost=192.168.1.23
NFSShare=/server
Program=duplicity
SMBHost=192.168.1.23
SMBLogin=*****************
SMBPassword=************
SMBShare=/Backups/server
Type=full
USBLabel=USB DISK
VFSType=usb
VolSize=250
notify=always
notifyFrom=
notifyTo=martin@palts.eu
status=enabled

[root@linux-server backup]# config show backup-config
backup-config=configuration
notify=never
notifyFrom=
notifyTo=admin@localhost
reinstall=enabled
status=enabled
[root@linux-server backup]#

I neat to change this to make a backup on the usb stik (wil 64 GB be oké?) How can i do that ?

have you took a look at fstab ? if the hdd label is defined for the old hdd you must change it to be for your new hdd.
also if you can boot from the new hdd and after you have modified the fstab you should do a grub-update.

What is the exact error you get ?

e2fsck: canon not procent: Stopt

Thee was an error in HDD controle.
The system wil reboot

Something like that

take a look and see if in fstab you have the correct hdd UUID descriptor to match the hdd:

you might see something like this in the fstab file:

# / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=2096b40b-4528-405d-9a17-ad990fb15d4e /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1

get the UUID for the new hdd and replace it into the fstab.

you will need to boot of a live distro to be able to do this operation Or you can modify fstab before you clone the hdd and then do the cloning.

I did not experiment with changing the fstab into a live system and do not know if it works…

Thanx, at the moment i am trying white tee backup

Are you sure your hdd is full and not just a small partition that can be cleaned or expanded?
Can you give an overview of the partitions?

For future situations, do keep seperate partitions for / and /home. A seperate partition for /boot might be a good idea too but then you have to clean up old kernels regularly. Another seperate partition might be useful for /var/log

Experience taught me that a single / partition is easier to handle, especially for non-experts.
That’s not to say to avoid more articulate setups like separate /home (useful on desktops if you need to format the / when doing an upgrade) or a separate /var/lib (or /var/log).
NethServer comes with LVM by default, so it’s easy to assign space or enlarge partitions.

1 Like

I agree with Filippo,
A single partition is easy to be managed at least until you are confident in your skills to manage the partitions individually.

what pakket can i best remove to do no harm to the server, and have somme space back. I think whit more space i can acses the web interface again. And make a backup on USB.

maybe this is of som help:
[root@linux-server ~]# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_linuxserver-lv_root
51475068 48866124 0 100% /
tmpfs 1832076 0 1832076 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1 487652 176064 285988 39% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_linuxserver-lv_home
184379452 60744 174946036 1% /home
\192.168.1.23\Documents
1902053516 845654860 1056398656 45% /var/www/html/owncloud/data/martin/files/NAS
\192.168.1.23/Backups/server
1902053516 845654860 1056398656 45% /mnt/backup
[root@linux-server ~]#

The new HDD is now booting. And Nethserver is starting. I set te partision to max whit gpartit-live.

However Nethserver stil is not sehing te bigger partition. What is the best wai to enlarge the partigion in Nethserver ?

i used a live usb ubuntu to run system-config-lvm

The system is up and running now.

2 Likes

Still have issues Mail is coming in, but i can not log into SOGo. Passwords do not work anymore. It is like there is no connection to the database ?? I am confused

We’re here If you need help. Please provide your sogo.log