New DNS Type HTTPS, according to RFC

Hi All

Since December 2023, there’s a new RFC (9460) entry for HTTPS, the first DNS entry specifically for Browsers.
As this hasn’t yet been mentionned in a post so far, here it is!

Google has been pushing this to their browser engines Chrome et Al, but Apple has been using this since 2020 as one of the first in almost everything, not only Safari!

For all of us here, this has interesting effects, which we can use to our benefit…

• Web pages can use UDP now
  • Which type of Security can be specified, HTTP1.1, 2 or 3
  • Alternatives can be specified Backup server) without using Round Robin multiple entries
  • A port can be specified (Eg 9090!). DNS has, so far never entailed a Port!

More info are available on the Web, eg here:

here the RFC:

PS: This info is VERY interesting for our Devs working with Containerization
@stephdl @mrmarkuz @oneitonitram @davidep and others…

One question remains:

When will NS8 support this?
NethSecurity DNS?

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Can you point to the specific RFC please?

Ah, missed the number above. RFC 9460 - Service Binding and Parameter Specification via the DNS (SVCB and HTTPS Resource Records)

I see it is a proposal? https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9460

@LayLow

RFCs are binding, they are not “just” a proposal.

The naming is irrating, it stands for “Request For Comments” and comes from the times the Internet as such was defined. It was the then used method to ask “peers” for their opinion about newer concepts until the rules became finalized. As such, “proposal” isn’t incorrect, but once finalized, it’s not a proposal anymore. But it’s still RFC, as the RFCs are binding!

Check out Wikipedia for RFC for more info!

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Uh… no. And especially not if they have the status ‘Proposal’. And IF finalised and accepted as an internet standard, it is still not binding, but just a possibility.

I rather consult IETF | RFCs where the second paragraph speaks for itself.

HTH

@LayLow

Strictly seen, you are correct, it is still a proposed RFC.
However, it is defacto standard, as it is already in full use by ALL smartphones, tablets and almost all browser engines there are,
Apple and Google fully support this, and they are the only producers of commercial OS for Smartphones and Tablets.

My 2 cents
Andy

this is interesting, i can kinda see howit might benefit ns8 apps