Realtek Semiconductor RTL-8100/8110L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet

2. CPU: Intel Xeon x3220 2.4 Ghz
    Mainboard : Intel DQ965GF
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Network cards:
    Intel Corporation 82566 DM Gigabit Network Connection
    Intel Corporation 82541PI Gigabit Network Ethernet Controller
    Intel Corporation 82541PI Gigabit Network Ethernet Controller

I am using two WAN and LAN.Software configuration on both computers are the same. In the first hardware configuration everything works fine and the second one is wrong. Internet is slow and web sites sometimes do not want to load. From my computer I was doing web ping and statistics show that some packages are lost. How can this be explained or verified? Probably a problem with the drivers? Please give me a hint.

What is the function of nethserver, proxy?

I generally use it as a router, an Internet gateway with Open VPN (I have running DNS, DHCP, firewall, ntop etc). I’m not using it as a proxy.

Ok, without proxy 4 GB RAM is enough. There should be another problem.
Could you try the realtek ethernet cards instead of the intel at the intel mainboard? So we can test if it is a driver problem.

Why do you need 3 network adapters?

1 Like

It’s for MultiWAN.

@giacomo Do you have any ideas why it is slow. Can pablo test something.

You need to investigate to multiple layers:

1. check there is no error on cables
  2. if you have a router in front of NS, check the router is behaving well
  3. what services are running on the server? Suricata? Ntopng?
  4. check there is no network error using ifconfig command (look for ‘RX errors’)
1 Like

IMVHO for the 2., great CPU, good quality but low performance mainboard.

Q965 Express Chipset, which is base of the MB, is dated Q3 2006; AMD 760G, which is base for PC1, is 3 years younger.
Maybe could grant anyway enough performance but… i think that makes a lot of difference.

2 Likes

Perhaps this computer is too old. Packets on the LAN interface (RX Dropped) are lost. The cables are OK because the same cables I used on the first device. I’m using ntopng but even as I shut down the service the problem still exists.

1 Like

I bought a new TP-LINK TG-3468 network adapter for PC 2. I connected it as a LAN and it looks ok. Please close the topic.

1 Like

Hi @pablo,

you are able to close the topic if you mark an answer as solution.

[quote=“pablo, post:10, topic:8068, full:true”]
I bought a new TP-LINK TG-3468 network adapter for PC 2. I connected it as a LAN and it looks ok. [/quote]
This completely screw up my theory. The adapter has Realtek chip onboard.
Therefore, question become:

Why this kind of card has crappy performance?

Edit
Indeed, that’s not a news. Searching for “82541PI slow network” plenty of linux installations/distros seems to not manage quite well this kind of chipset.

Some posts reported 10mbit negotioation with the switch, others a sort of unreliability of the connection (falls, come back online, stays online 3-4 secs, then falls again).

The LAN was on a built-in card that was Intel Corporation 82566 DM Gigabit Network Connection. I tried setting up a similar network on IPFIRE software and the problem was the same. I will continue to look at the network after changing the card.