Network configuration reset issue, can't access web interface

NethServer Version: 7.7.1908

Short backstory, we moved offices and I was attempting to get our network setup (I’m a developer, so this is outside my wheelhouse).

Our basic setup is

ISP Router → Nethserver box (2 network cards) → switch → PC

The new place has a router in place for the internet. When I first set everything up, everything was working except for OpenVPn (I did update the configuration files). There were no logs showing connection attempts and the connection would keep timing out. Right from the beginning I thought it had something to do with the ISP router blocking it (I could use teamviewer to connect to the PC)

We called in and they confirmed that port 1194 was not being blocked, but they would put our router in bridge mode. When I went to setup the PPPoE connection in nethserver amin, it didn’t work. In my infinite wisdom I decided to try through the command line. I’m pretty sure I messed with the wrong interface because then I couldn’t connect to the web admin interface via the PC anymore.

I followed the instructions here to reset the connections (nethserver-base — NethServer 7 documentation), but that doesn’t seemed to have worked. When I attempt to connect to the web admin from the pc (https://192.168.1.1:980) I get ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE and when I run the network diagnostic, it’s saying I don’t have a valid IP configuration. I’ve tried a couple of different PCs and they both say the same.

I’ve verified that the connection from the nethserver box to the switch is the one I setup using the steps from reset network configuration from the link above.

Summary: Network configurations got messed up. Tried to reset and re-add them but the pc will not get an ip address and can’t connect to the web interface.

Hi and welcome to NethServer Community,

did you already try the network-recovery tool?

The current version is 7.9.2009, I recommend to upgrade to get the most recent packages and fixes.

If DHCP isn’t working you could set the IP on the client manually.

3 Likes

I tried the network-recovery tool originally, it didn’t work, but I had forgotten to add the slash. I ran it again created the ip in the client and connect to the web interface.

The first thing I did was attempt to restore the configuration backup I did, but I received an error/

Task Completed With Errors
S20restore-config-checkupdate #7 (exit status 256). I looked through the backup file and was able to see the old network db info. Is it safe to assume that I can attempt to revert what I did by manually creating those?

I was able to use the the network info from the back to recreate the network configuration information and can use DHCP on the client to connect to the Nethserver gui. So I’ve got part of my problems solved.

A new issue I’m now facing is it’s not finding the active directory (when I click on users and groups I get a red box with Account provider generic errr: SSSD exit code 1), so I decided to call it a night and look at it with fresh eyes in the morning.

So I’ve been looking through regarding the Active Directory issue. The accounts provider information is present, but I’m assuming the issue is with the domain controller ip address.

Based on Users and groups — NethServer 7 Final, I can see the linux container, but I’m kind of stuck and unsure where to go from here. If I should put this in a new topic, please let me know.

Some follow up, I tried systemctl status nsdc and it said that it was inactive (dead). I ran
systemtl start nsdc, it ran fine, but wheni try systemctl -M nsdc status samba it gives me:

samba.service - Samba domain controller daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/samba.service; enabled; vendor preset; disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Mon 2022-12-12- 11:17:16 EST; 20 min ago
ConditionPathExists=/var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf was not met

I had tried it earlier, then tried start instead of status, which is why it says 20 min ago.

So I decided to restore a configuration backup from earlier last week and it can now see the active directory. So I’ve got it in a semi-usable state. Still need to figure out the OpenVPN issue with the ISP, but our internal stuff works.

1 Like