Network configuration failed at first-boot

So I started from scratch and on first boot I’ve set up the network manually.
Service NetworkManager-wait-online has been failed but I was able to start it.
Service ns8-install-finalize failed because of
service systemd-firstboot failed too.
restart of systemd-firstboot also failed with:

Dec 04 09:41:01 node.ns8.test systemd[664]: systemd-firstboot.service: Failed to set up standard input: Input/output error
Dec 04 09:41:01 node.ns8.test systemd[664]: systemd-firstboot.service: Failed at step STDIN spawning systemd-firstboot: Input/output error
Dec 04 09:41:01 node.ns8.test systemd[1]: systemd-firstboot.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=208/STDIN
Dec 04 09:41:01 node.ns8.test systemd[1]: systemd-firstboot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 04 09:41:01 node.ns8.test systemd[1]: Failed to start First Boot Wizard.
Dec 04 10:13:02 node.ns8.test systemd[1]: First Boot Wizard was skipped because of an unmet condition check (ConditionFirstBoot=yes).

I haven’t rebooted yet. Now I don’t know what can I do with this.
Any advice please?

If the image did not get any address from DHCP at first boot some services might be in a failed state. Restarting them does not help.

Try to access a console and configure a static IP with nmtui, as described here

https://docs.nethserver.org/projects/ns8/en/latest/os_network.html

Normally a first boot script should handle such cases.
Esp. if indeed there is no DHCP (not uncommon when first setting up everything).
I found issues with my first boot and network also. If you do something not in the expected way, you are screwed and need to start with fresh image (! …talking about pre-made VM images).

1 Like

@Amygos do we have zeroconf in our image?

Is there a way to set up network manually before boot without DHCP?