Network and webvirtmgr

hi all,
iā€™m playing with webvirtmgr but iā€™m having some problem with network on VM.
I read that i have to create a br0 interface trought ns webuiā€¦
i have only eth0(green), i click on ā€œnew interfaceā€ , select bridge and the checkbox with eth0 and click submit. but the result is that NS become unreachable.
Where is the error?
after the sucessful cration of br0 i have to add it on networks section on webvirtmgr?
sorry for the noob question but this is my first exp with this :tired_face:

Can you describe what you exactly want to do and where you read, that the creation of the bridge is required?

1 Like

I want to give internet access to the VMs :smile:
In future i plan to add 2 more ethernet port and test dietro (like firewall) on one vmā€¦but i have no exp with webvirtmgrā€¦

I think that i have misundestood the ns wiki regarding the bridge interfaceā€¦

It seems you didnā€™t any errorā€¦maybe we have a bug?
Can you please post the output of these commands after the bridge is created?

• db networks show
  • ifconfig -a
  • brctl show

Youā€™re in the right place to ask any question! :wink:
After the bridge is created, the bridge should already be present inside the webvirtmgr interface.
If not, please try to restart libvirt daemon: service libvirtd restart

If you donā€™t need to access the VMs from the virtualizer itself, you can also bridge the virtual interfaces to physical itnerfaces using macvtap without the need to create a bridge from NethServer web interface.
See: 18.11. Attaching a Virtual NIC Directly to a Physical Interface Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 | Red Hat Customer Portal

canā€™t reproduce the problemā€¦the past two attempt failedā€¦

now it workā€¦ :frowning: :flushed:

Another question:
there is the possibility trought webvirtmgr to add more than 1 nic to one vm? :slight_smile:

KVM and libvirt supports it, I have no idea about webvirtmgr which is only a frontend :smile:
If you have a Linux desktop you can also use virt-manager.

1 Like

i think the easyest way to do this is add the other bridge interface in NS, add it on webvirtmgr, and edit the XML (in the VM menu go to settings -> XML) adding under the auto-created network interface:

<interface type='bridge'>
  <mac address='52:54:00:12:34:56'/>
  <source bridge='br1'/>
  <model type='virtio'/>
  <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x09' function='0x0'/>
</interface>

modify slot interface and mac adress :smile:

If you want to add an external disk (usb disk ecc):

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
  <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
  <source dev='/dev/sdb'/>
  <target dev='sdb' bus='scsi'/>
  <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='5'/>
</disk>

EDIT
If you have multiple network configured in webvirtmgr when creating a new VM you can add more than one NIC during the VM creation (using a custom template)

Would you mind adding this to our wiki? We should add a new Tip and Tricks section /cc @Jim

Yes! :wink:
but i donā€™t know how and where to start :slight_smile:

Just create a new page called: Add bridge interface and external disk to webvirtmgr
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:wiki_help
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:tips_to_create_how-to_s

and link it here, so docs team @sitz, @Ctek, @stephdl, @WillZen, @Jim can help you to improve it

Hi @jackyes

How are you going with the wiki?
Do you need any help?

http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=ns_webvirtmgr

Work in progress :slight_smile:

Great @jackyes
Feedback from my side. For me it isnā€™t clear where has the work to be done. It would be nice if you can add if it in Nethserver GUI or other GUI.
You could separate the Nethserver, WebVirtMgr and VM part with paragraph and different headline level.

To figure out how to format the text I look what other did. In Hoto make Nethserverā€¦ are example with remarks and warnings. And in this Howto are different headlines.

1 Like

i have separate throught headline the two part NS gui and Webvirtmgr gui :smile:
Hope that now it is more clear :neutral_face:

Looks very cool and straightforward, thank you. You rock! :muscle:

Edit: link it here at the end: http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto_s

Hey @jackyes , looks great and thank you :clap: :+1:

@jackyes

If I see it right your Howto is in your directory. Could you please make a new Howto and copy everything from your Howto in this new page.
Go to ā€œUser Guideā€. At the bottom of the page is ā€œCreate a new User Guideā€ and copy your writing.
Please add a TAG at the end of your text as described above on the ā€œUser Guideā€ page.

i hope to have done it correctly

Yes. It is on the right place.

Thank you for the new Howto. Great job. :+1:

2 Likes