NethServer Version: 7.9.2009 (final) Module: File sharing

NethServer Version: 7.7.1908 (final)
Module: File sharing

I´ve bound the home folders from /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/home to /mnt/raid/homes, worked fine…
When i accessed the home folder from a windows client, a new share appeares called “bin”, tooltip says “Home directories”, it´s the local folder /usr/bin. I checked the templates but couldn´t figure out why this gets created automaticly…

Can someone give me a hint where to dig next?

Hi @Schnabeltierchen

Maybe you could give a hint what is “/mnt/raid/homes”, a NAS or something?
And why don’t you upgrade your ancient system?
Around 3 years no updates? Are you joking?

My 2 cents
Andy

Hello Andy, thank you for your quick response.
the /mnt/raid/homes -folder is a local folder (on local raid drive).
I don´t know why this old version got pasted but i´m running NethServer release 7.9.2009 (final), sorry.
Unbenannt

Hi

Sounds much better… :slight_smile:

A few pointers to check:

Use MS-RSAT installed on a current Workstation, and logged in as AD-Admin, check where the Home Folder points to. The problem could be somewhere in AD, not in a NethServer script.

Check also the combined, created from templates /etc/samba/smb.conf if there’s anything in there.

When you say you “bound the home folders from /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/home to /mnt/raid/homes” does that mean you symlinked the folders or did you change something else? (Templates, etc?).
Normally, a simple symlink would suffice.

This is strange:
“the /mnt/raid/homes -folder is a local folder (on local raid drive).”
Normally, this equals the total drive space of NethServer, unless you’ve got a special configuration not created by booting NethServer ISO and installing.

I can only confirm that this isn’t usual, with 30 Clients all using AD on NethServer…
All in all well over 200 PCs… And so far, I’ve never seen a share called “bin” being created automatically…

My 2 cents
Andy

PS: I corrected the title of your post…

On the AD-DC (another nethserver replicated to a docker samba-dc) home-directories were not set.

I´ve bound the folder with fstab and bindfs (i think it´s bindfs).

In the /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/samba/smb.conf/70shares i “disabled” the printer share by setting “browsable” and “guest” to “no”.

Strangly this share just appears after accessing the users home folder via samba…

I think the above two issues could be your issue.

Normally, say with an additional disk (or raid) add on, you’ld just symlink /var/lib/nethserver/home to /mnt/disk2. A reboot or restart of Samba would be sufficient and all would work as expected.

How far the second point affects this, I can’t really say.

I’d try by changeing back the mount points and just symlink the home folders to your additional storage.

Setting the home folders in AD also helps.

1 Like

It get´s more suspicious…
I´ve just looked at the files and thought a reboot ‘could’ solve the issue, rebooted, accessed the file server with a Windows client, no bin-share, accessed the home-folder of the account, returned to the top level, bin-share appeared. Read your answer, checked the template files again, changed nothing, rebooted, moved a folder with files which was under /mnt/raid/homes and had no actual user (i wanted to create the user later and add those files to his folder), tested (while still moving the files) and the bin-share didn´t got created…
Seemed the folder full with files inside the homes-folder caused a problem.

1 Like