NethServer + SOGo + Thunderbird: calendar free/busy indications

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
SOGo: 1.8.4
Thunderbird Version: 78.7.0

I just completed a transition from SME Server (long, long time user) to NethServer. I am very pleased so far. I would like to use the SOGo Calendars to provide calendar services with up-to-date free/busy indications. Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to see busy times of other users.

Some potentially helpful configuration details. We have a MS Windows AD already in place to handle Windows computer logins. The AD was created many years ago and is defined as .local. I successfully connected the NetServer to the AD, and all users from the AD are available in NS. Email is handled by NS for .com domain. Therefore, I added Addresses of the form user@<company.com> and linked them to the user@.local email and I am now able to send/receive email.

When I wish to check a coworkers availability, I create an event in Thunderbird, and invite them via coworker@.com, but I don’t see their busy status. I also tried coworker@.local, but that doesn’t work either.

Am I missing something, or is this an unsupported configuration?

Welcome @csteaderman

Do you see the Free/Busy in the Sogo-webUI?

IIRC: the users need to share their calendars (at least View permissions) with Any Authenticated User. Not sure If Thunderbird can handle this correctly, at least a lead to start…

__ Off Toppic __

Yes, this is the way it used to be done. It is discouraged nowadays.
If the Windows AD has a field (DN) for the email address of the users, you may consider to set this in the sogo CustomEmailField (e-smith) db property. This adds it to the Sogo bind fields. Note this only applies to Sogo, not the underlying IMAP mail-server.

3 Likes

Mark,
Thanks for the suggestions. I did not have any special Sharing… options set, but changing it to allow View for Authenticated Users allowed me to see the busy status. Except… it only works if I invite based upon the AD username (username@.local), not the email domain address (username@.com. I will have look into AD field for email address setting. I’ll follow-up with progress.

1 Like

I now have SOGo + Thunderbird Calendar fully functional. Here are the steps that I needed to take on the AD in order to get things to work properly.

• I made sure that each user’s email address was properly filled in with the username@company.com address.
  • I then went to the user’s Attribute Editor and made sure that userPrincipalName was set to username@company.com.
  • When connecting to the calendar (using TbSync and “Provider for CalDav & CardDav” plugins), the username@company.com username needs to be specified, rather than just the username (despite the fact that both authenticate).

Users are now able to see each other’s free/busy status, and invitation come from username@company.com rather than username@domain.local.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Charlie

1 Like

Thank you for reporting back, Especially confirmation the Thunderbird plugins work along.

Can we ask a favor and mark your own answer above as solution? EDIT: thank you!