NethServer multiple client domains

Hello,

Is it possible to configure Nethserver to have multiple client domains?
Also I am a bit confused with the DNS Records.

Thanks.

Hi @target

And welcome to the nethserver community!

If you are thinking about multiple E-Mail domains or Internet domains for webhosting, yes that is possible with NethServer.

But if you’re thinking AD as Active Directory, then sorry, that won’t work. Small & medium Enterprises don’t need mutli domained (multitennant is the correct term) AD, and SME is the scope of NethServer.

NethServers built-in DNS is only suitable as internal DNS, not as internet DNS.

My 2 cents
Andy

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, we are thiking about webhosting. We want to add multiple domains on the NethServer. Can you please help on how to configure the server?

No, we will use local authentication not AD.

Yes, we will use public DNS Servers for the records not nethserver.

Thank you.

That’s virtual hosts:
https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/web_server.html

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I won’t hosting the domains on nethserver I will use only the email service. When I create new domain from the email menu, it creates an alias domain and not a new domain. Do you know how to create new domains? Imagine this will be client1 client2 etc. Another question is that in order to have mailbox you need to create a new user but we need to have multiple info, sales etc. emails. how can I handle this?

Thanks.

Hi @target

Create a maildomain inside the Email → Domains part of cockpit, as follows:

Create users as follows:

user1_domain1@domain1.com
user2_domain1@domain1.com
info_domain1@domain1.com (Alias info@domain1.com )

user1_domain2@domain2.com
user2_domain2@domain2.com
info_domain2@domain2.com (Alias info@domain2.com )

I think the used methods should be understandable…
For the domain part of the user name, you can use understandable (for you) abreviations, like d1, d2, etc…

Then create the coresponding Addresses under E-Mail (=Aliases)…
The client used sets the domain for outgoing mail.

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Aaaaannnndd…
https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/base_system2.html#certificates
don’t forget to verify that the certificate is requested for every hostname/domain
Aaaaannnndd…
I look for any specific page about multidomain configuration but seem lacking into docs. What the doc?

Thank you both for your help.

Ummm… OK…

Not official but some of the tips Andy gave are in the wiki:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=email

3 Likes

Hello All,

The problem now with the alias is that the client has to be configured the user account for example user1_domain1@domain1.com instead of info@domain1.com any solution on this?

thanks.

Hi @target

That’s only the user name, and it’s enough to use just the front part before the “@” symbol, eg:
user1_domain1

The E-Mail itself has to be filled in another field.

On a lot of clients you only get the options on second click, manual config or the like.

Client side:

Use TLS (Port 587) for sending and 143 (Also TLS) for incoming. Here 993 with SSL will also work, but TLS is better.

Don’t use Kerberos for the password!!!

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Even the prefix is not acceptable as the customer wants to see on their mailbox just the info@domain1.com and not the user1_domain1 or user1_domain1@domain.com. Also the only way to make it work is to use info_domain1@domain.com which is the primary and not info@domain1.com which I want. Dispate of the issue I am able to send and receive emails from info@customer1.com for example.

Regarding the IMAP 143 when it works with TLS is encypted? I guess so.

Thanks.

Easy enough.

Set up a second Nethserver…

For external IMAP / SMTP access you’ll need a second IP ao connection.

But if the customer wants that (not to share a server…) and can / is willing to pay for it…

My 2 cents
Andy

IMAP and SMTP with TLS are both encrypted, and is the latest state of he art to use mail - at least according to the relevant RFCs…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

The concept is to use multiple domains on the same server with a single IP Address. Thanks for everything.

Thanks.

@target

Not for NethServer, there the target is a single SME (small, medium enterprise).

Welcome!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

@target

But it still can be done, and will work stable!

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy