Hi, I am trying to migrate a Nextcloud instance with about 430 GB of data and a 13 GB database. After about 16 hours of importing, the database had only finished about 22%. I have aborted this and will try again next weekend, but I have to find a way for this to move faster. It is on an HDD on Proxmox, which I understand is not the best, but the 430 GB of data transfers fine; it’s just the import of the database. Is there a way to clean that up before dumping it on the NS7 machine? Or is there a way to tune the DB on the NS8 machine before doing the import?
Hi Jeff,
A few notes that may help you plan the next attempt.
Progress bar
The migration progress bar is not reliable, so don’t take the 22% at face value. To get a real idea of how the transfer is going, watch the disk space usage on the NS8 side.
Disk requirements
A spinning drive is not enough for NS8, as stated in the system requirements. The only exception is the setup described in this tutorial, where large data volumes are placed on a separate disk: Named volume disk. The database, in particular, needs fast storage.
Nextcloud upgrades after migration
Even if you redirect the nextcloud-app-data volume to an HDD, you may still run into trouble during upgrades. The migration procedure installs an older Nextcloud version, and then each major version update must be applied one at a time, up to the latest stable release (1.7.5).
Bugs in previous releases can give the false impression that an update has completed while it is actually still running. Starting another update in that state may leave the service stuck in maintenance mode, as described in NethServer/dev#8159. To know for sure whether a Nextcloud upgrade is still in progress, check the list of running processes, and the system and disk load.
Why the DB dump is transferred again at the end
Data, app code and database must be aligned to the same major version. Since data and app code live in the same volume, copying the data first and migrating later is not practical, and the automated procedure does not support it. The procedure is designed to transfer the data, possibly in multiple runs, and then finalize the migration in a last step. For Nextcloud, this means the full database dump is transferred and imported again during the finalization.
Thank you for your response. The 22% came from looking at how many routes has been imported into the new db vs how many were coming. The web ui said 40%.
So I understand you correctly. Are you saying that unless I put this on an ssd, I can expect a13 G db import to take over 48 hours to complete? I’m not meaning that to sound snarky, just clarifying.
Either way, I had forgotten that I had upgraded the drives on this server. This vm is in the local storage on aproxmox server on 2 ssds in a raid 1.