Nethserver install on VMWare ESXi 8

I would like to try Nethserver 7.9 on my VMWare ESXi 8 server.

Unfortunately, I can’t setup 2 NICs with different subnets on VMWare.
The VMWare server has two NICs and only one is configured for VMWare, while the other is not currently in use.

I would like to set this unused NIC as a second subnet for Nethserver.

Anyone running Nethsever on VMWare ESXi?
Does anyone have an idea for a solution?

Thanks for your help

Why can’t you just create another vSwitch for the second subnet.

Cheers.

I created a vSwitch1 next to the default vSwitch0 with the unused NIC.
I created a Port group called NethWAN and created a new VMkernel NIC called vmk1 for the other subnet next to the default vmk0.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to add the new NIC when installing Nethserver, only the default VM Network and VMXNET 3 can be selected.

I do something wrong?
Thanks for your help

Maybe my original suggestion of a second vSwitch may be overkill.

You can just connect both virtual NICs from NethServer to the same vSwich and still use different subnets and/or VLANs.

Here’s part of my setup for the physical NIC on ESXi:

The top line is actually a virtual adapter, in the 192.168.20.0/24 subnet, bridged to the NethServer bridge.

Cheers.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I’m quite a beginner in VMWare ESXi, so far I’ve used VMWare Player, but I have to virtualize my server because I’ve changed servers and this is “supported” by Dell’s RAID controller.

Can you help me how to create this setting?

Thanks for your help

Just connect both the NethServer NICs to the same network (VM Network) and you can still assign them to different subnets.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, under ESXi 8 it looks different, physical adapters cannot be added to the VM Network.

An uplink could be added to the vSwitch, but a different subnet could not be added.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what steps can be taken to solve this problem, I’ve been studying the descriptions for days without success.

Thanks for your help

You don’t need the uplink or any additional VMKernel NICs, or any other changes. The default networking is fine.

Just assign both NethServer adapters to the same “VM Network”. Don’t worry about the 2nd physical adapter unless you have a very specific reason to route traffic out of the that one. One physical adapter connected to a switch can handle the multiple subnets.

Cheers.

I want to use two subnets for the Nethserver, one for the WAN and the other for the LAN interface. Each would be in a different subnet.

For the LAN side, I would use vSwitch0 of VMWare, which is configured. There is another physical interface that is not configured, this should be set to another subnet and to the Nethserver as a WAN interface.

Unfortunately, I don’t understand this setting.

Only uplink or VMkernel NICs can be added. I can’t find any other setting options in ESXi 8.
Only Port groups, Virtual switches, Physical NICs, VMkernel NICs and TCP/IP stacks can be set under Networking.

In the Physical NICs setting, only Auto-negotiate can be set for the card. The IP address range cannot be set.

Good, that’s how NS should be configured.

And for the WAN side you can also use vSwitch0. It can handle traffic from different subnets, just like a physical switch can.

And unless you have some strange configuration for your network, like multiple ISPs, it should stay that way.

Why. The subnets in use are dictated by the configuration of the VMs, not by the physical interfaces.

The IP addresses are configured in the VM’s, not the vSwitch, not the Port Groups, not the physical NICs.

Cheers.