Nethserver imap auth failed

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: dovecot

Hi,
Suddenly with only one user I have authentication problem. I have already changed the password several times, disabled the user and re-enabled. Does not work. Authentication continues to fail

Aug 30 10:20:28 serverdp dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Inactivity during authentication (auth failed, 3 attempts in 180 secs): user=pippo.pluto@test.local, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.2.253, lip=192.168.2.220, TLS, session=

doveadm auth test pippo.pluto@test.local
Password:
passdb: pippo.pluto@test.local auth failed
extra fields:
user=pippo.pluto@test.local
temp

doveadm auth test pippo.pluto
Password:
passdb: pippo.pluto auth failed
extra fields:
user=pippo.pluto
temp

Webmail does not authenticate, but if I use pippo.pluto*root I access the mailbox.
Until yesterday morning
Aug 29 07:47:04
everything worked,
give her
Aug 29 07:53:30
has stopped working

thanks

I suggest to use only pippo.pluto instead of pippo.pluto@test.local as username. NethServer supports multiple domain for the same userbase but don’t exacly manage multi-domain/multi-users environment.
So me@domain1 is the same user for me@domain2. Therefore => use only me.

even using only pippo.pluto the authentication fails

doveadm auth test pippo.pluto
Password:
passdb: pippo.pluto auth failed
extra fields:
user=pippo.pluto
temp

using webmail
pipp.pluto
password
(server is already set up)
but it fails here too

Therefore IMVHO something seems wrong or with the user (is a user or an alias?) or the password you’re using.

@AndreLinux

Hi

Are you using AD or LDAP as account provider?

pippo will only change the dovecot view of the password, but maybe the Account Provider prevails…

My 2 cents
Andy

It is a user and not an alias.
I have changed the password several times but the result does not change.

LDAP provider

Try resetting the password directly on the User Account as shown in Cockpit -> This changes the password in LDAP…

My 2 cents
Andy

In the tests I did i reset the passwords from User Account in Cockpit

If you change the password in Cockpit, it should work eg also for Roundcube (Webmail)…
If mail then works in Roundcube, it should also work on the client. If not, it narrows down the search…

My 2 cents
Andy

Unfortunately no, the password change occurs regularly but by accessing via client or via roundcube or with doveadmin I do not authenticate.

Another option would be a “Config restore” back to when that user was still working. That won’t erase any mail, but reset the configuration back to when it was working…

Make sure you have a working backup!

My 2 cents
Andy

The srever is production and the problem is happening only with that user. If I remove and recreate it, will my mail be lost? Is it a valid solution?

Probably, I’m not sure.
But that would not prevent you from saving the contents of /var/lib/nethserver/users/XXX (or whatever) in another place and replacing the mail relevant part of the content after recreating the user! (Make sure the folder is deleted before recreating!)
You would need to use a manual chown / chmod -r to make sure the permissions are correct on the files you replace.

But - as said - make a full backup before deleting!

My 2 cents
Andy

IMVHO not quite. I’d take my time to scrub messages log to identify what the heck is going on about the password and the LDAP account.
Does the password contain any special character? If possible, would you share which one?

Sure, la password is Tr3Du2-2021.
I also changed it with others but it doesn’t work.
At the log level, I have checked /var/log/message and /var/log/imap but I don’t notice anything in particular. Do I need to check anything else?

the dash character (-) should not harm in any way any service (as ' or & could)

So the password is ok, other logs to check? In fact it is strange that suddenly the user cannot log in anymore.

Did you check if fail2ban is the “culprit” for too many logins?